17545Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: PCMCIA 802.11g - Linksys WPC54G

  • Ryan Earl
    Feb 2, 2003
      On Monday 03 February 2003 12:45 am, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
      > Oh, should I read in between the lines that not only there are no
      > drivers for either of the linksys cards,
      > but that there's no workaround to get them working?

      You could decompile the Windows drivers for the unsupported cards and reverse
      engineer linux versions.

      > What would be the recommended cards then? Any 802.11g in sight?

      I was just attemping to get the new DLink 802.11g card (DWL-G650) to work.
      It's an Intersil chipset. Intersil used the Prism interface for all their
      old cards, but alas, the current prism drivers do not work with it.
      Apparently they haven't published programming details for their new 802.11g
      chipset. They may use a slightly altered interface requiring only a small
      update to the driver code.

      The best thing to do is to write Intersil and request specs on their 802.11g
      chipsets. Hopefully, if enough people ask they will rise to the occassion
      and release specs. Optionally you can ask Broadcom though they haven't been
      helpful in the past.

      -ryan
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic