17519Re: [linux-dell-laptops] dell truemobile 1150 external antenna

  • Dave Edick
    Feb 1, 2003
      In one aspect, the Dell guy was probably right.  You won't need an external antenna to access an access point inside your house.  The range of this wireless stuff is pretty high.  You ought to be able to connect to the access point from at least 100 feet away.

      I didn't use the external antenna connection at all until I decided I wanted to try wardriving.  If you do use an external antenna, you'll probably find that you'll need a pigtail cable that adapts the tiny connector on the card over to a standard N type antenna connector.

      I did my wireless setup manually and all I did was create the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file, so you're probably on the right track there.

      /Dave/

      On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 01:06, Randy Perkins wrote:
      hey thanks
      i didnt want to pry around and break it before i got started

      wanna here something funny
      i called dell tech support
      and told them i had a question about truemobile 1150
      so i was transfered to a "wireless" support person

      i told him that the picture on the quick setup guide showed
      the antenna connection but that i didnt have one

      he said i dont need an antenna
      and that the truemobile 1150 cant use an external antenna
      and i believed him

      i think the card is configured right
      i just used the gui "redhat-config-network" under rh8
      the only file that was created was

      i have seen reference to /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf
      but i dont have that file ??

      i guess i will have to wait for my access point to get here
      before i can do much else

      thanks again
      randy