16966Re: [linux-dell-laptops] WInXP, RH Linux, i8200, dualboot

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Jan 2, 2003

      I SERIOUSLY recommend the GeForce card - ATI has TERRIBLE support in my experiences. I've had no problems with the GeForce2 (except that in powersavethe screen gets mucked up on my laptop) in Linux so far - I would say this is your safest bet.

      By the say, does anyone know if TwinView works with the linux driver for the GF2?

       "xdquus <xdquus@...>" <xdquus@...> wrote:

      I am going to buy a new Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook very soon, and
      want to dual-boot WinXP and Linux(most probably Red Hat Linux) on
      this notebook, followings are what I choose from options provided by

      Inspiron 8200 2.0GHz
      Mobile Intel� Pentium� 4 Processor 2.0GHz-M
      High Quality Audio System with built in Speaker
      Screen:  15" UXGA (1600 x 1200) TFT Colour Display
      Memory:  256MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
      Internal 30GB Hard Drive
      Video Card:  ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card
      Fixed Bay CD, DVD & CD-RW: Integrated 24x  CD-RW/8x DVD Combo Drive
      Modem/Combo Cards:  Internal V92 Modem & 10/100 NIC
      Operating System:  Microsoft� Windows� XP Home Edition

      I have some experiences in using Linux, but still I am not very sure
      if I could install Linux on this notebook, and dual-boot between
      WinXP and Linux. I have several questions:

      1) Is this video card(ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card)
      supported by XFree86? In message #16519, Doug had a success using the
      latest ATI linux driver with this video card. How is the situation
      now for this video card? or should I choose nVidia GeForce4 Go 440
      with 32MB DDR Video RAM, 4X AGP? since nVidia is an active supporter
      for Linux? I might want to play some videos/movies on this notebook,
      which is the suitable video RAM and video card?

      2) Is this internal V92 Modem supported in Linux? Could I also use
      10/100 NIC under Linux?

      3) How about sound with this notebook under Linux?

      4) Could I also configure and use integrated 24x  CD-RW/8x DVD Combo
      Drive under Linux?

      Before I go ahead, it is better to know if these hardware work or not
      under Linux.

      Could anyone help? Many thanks for your time.

      FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq

      "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
      Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
      It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
      Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
      And then came me..."

      -Metallica, "Astronomy"

      Do you Yahoo!?