16947Re: [linux-dell-laptops] SuSE 8.1 on i8200

  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
    Jan 1, 2003
      Am Mittwoch, 1. Januar 2003 20:22 schrieb "aguggis:

      > 1) The internal modem is not recognized. There
      > seems to exist an inofficial driver, however installation
      > appears to be complicated and risky.

      See my page for SuSE 8.0, link below. May be useful, my modem
      meanwhile works perfectly.

      > 2) My NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go is only partially supported by
      > SuSE 8.1. 3D acceleration won't work. Drivers provided by
      > NVIDIA.com do not work correctly on SuSE 8.1. In
      > usergroups, I could only find solutions for Mandrake 9.0.

      I'm not familiar with these things, but on my 8.0 box,
      everything with the graphics now works fine, also OpenGL
      rendered CAD-solids.

      > 3) SuSE 8.1 does not provide the kernel sources, which are
      > needed for the installation of many drivers.

      The SuSE Kernel sources are on the DVD/CDs, but in any not
      very intuitive package (sorry, don't know the name).

      > 4) The SuSE 8.1 package states that WLAN is now supported.
      > I tried to connect to my WLAN network, but could not get it
      > running. The Linux Driver of my Avaya WLAN PC Card needs
      > the kernel sources, which are not included in SuSE 8.1.

      See above, the sources should be encluded with the distro.

      Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic