1615Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Linux Support WAS: inspiron 8000

  • Richard Simpson
    Dec 1, 2000
      On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, you wrote:
      >Just to say that here ( University of Limerick ) we can buy machines
      >from DELL Ireland without the great virus being pre-installed.

      When I bought my 7500 a few weeks ago I asked about getting it with Linux
      installed. Since I am in the UK, it also came from Dell Ireland. The sales
      guy sounded a bit vague, but he basically said that he had heard of it being
      possible in the USA, but in respect of laptops, he was not aware of any plans
      in Europe.

      My employer (part of the UK government) is a big Dell customer and according to
      our stores catalogue I can order a Dell server with RedHat on it, but I haven't
      tried this yet.

      BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can get a
      discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got 7% off and
      a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.

      Richard

      Richard Simpson
      Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
      rsimpson@...
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic