16006Mandrake 9.0 on i8000 Newbie: need help with pppd

  • dpanja2000
    Nov 1, 2002
      A couple of days back I installed Mandrake 9.0 on a Dell i8000. This
      machine has 3com ethernet card and a PSION gold 56k modem card. PCMCIA
      booted up fine, and default internet router is eth0 (start at boot).
      However, I haven't succeeded to establish a dial-up modem connection
      despite the repeated attempts. The modem dials, connects to the ISP
      and then the modem hangs up with a pppd crash (error 16).

      Is there any way to get around this? Or debug why the modem is
      crashing?

      I'd also like to know the following: I have to deactivate eth0
      manually as root and then dial the modem (this has been a problem with
      other linux distributions as well). Otherwise, since the default
      connection is eth0, even if the connection is through modem, there is
      no data exchange. Can the deactivation of eth0 and modem dial-up be
      carried out by means of one single command (preferably a single click
      on an icon)?

      Cheers,
      -Deb.