15028Re: [linux-dell-laptops] dead/unconnected battery

  • Peter Hayes
    Sep 7, 2002
      On Saturday 07 September 2002 07:35, derekfox wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > After nearly a year of fairly trouble-free Inspiron 4k + RedHat
      > (first 7.1, now 7.2) ownership, I am suddenly having problems with my
      > battery.
      >
      > Although it is sitting in its bay, and I am connected to AC power,
      > the battery icon on my Gnome applet is GREY (w/ lightning bolt),
      > the same as when the battery is out of the bay entirely. When I
      > remove the battery and reinsert it, I get a quick "Low Battery 0%"
      > warning, and that is all (turns briefly white/charging, then
      > reverts to grey again).
      >
      > Moreover, I know the battery is really not supplying any juice
      > because when I disconnect AC, the machine goes down instantly.

      There are four possibilities as I see it.

      Battery has an internal fault, a broken connection between cells or a dead
      cell.

      Charging circuit in the laptop is broken, so the battery has run down and not
      been recharged. The charging circuit may be built into the battery, though.

      Bad connectors either on the battery or in the laptop, dirty perhaps?

      A software problem somewhere. Bios setting?

      More than likely the battery has developed a bad cell - sorry...

      Peter
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic