15020Re: [linux-dell-laptops] dead/unconnected battery

  • Mike Hicks
    Sep 7, 2002
      On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 02:35, derekfox wrote:
      > Although it is sitting in its bay, and I am connected to AC power,
      > the battery icon on my Gnome applet is GREY (w/ lightning bolt),
      > the same as when the battery is out of the bay entirely. When I
      > remove the battery and reinsert it, I get a quick "Low Battery 0%"
      > warning, and that is all (turns briefly white/charging, then
      > reverts to grey again).
      >
      > Moreover, I know the battery is really not supplying any juice
      > because when I disconnect AC, the machine goes down instantly.

      You might want to look at the battery status page in the BIOS (either
      get to in on startup, or press Fn+F3 when the system is up and running)
      and see if the system believes a battery is connected or not. You might
      try wiggling the battery around and see if it shows up or not.

      I suspect the contacts might be worn and not working as well as they
      should. Not really sure how to fix that.

      Actually, I've been having a problem on my Inspiron 4100 where the
      batteries seem to be loose -- accidentally bumping the battery can bring
      the system down unexpectedly -- so I'd be interested in any pointers..

      --
      _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ This one goes to eleven.