14896Re: Modular DVD on Slackware 8.1

  • rlillard333
    Aug 31, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@...,
      > "wickdgin" <wickdgin@b...> wrote:

      > Anyone have any idea on how to get my modular DVD
      > working on Slack. I haven't even attempted this
      > yet- but I was hoping someone could offer me some
      > insight.

      Since no one has responded yet, I'll offer a few
      comments and a question.

      1. What laptop do you have and what do you mean
      by "modular dvd"?

      2. I shouldn't matter, but I am using RedHat 7.3.
      I would expect most if not all of the other
      distros to work well too, it's just that I
      haven't tried them.

      3. Assuming you have relatively new equipment,
      you should be able to get Ogle working. I
      tried some of the others with inferior results
      to those experienced with Ogle.

      4. Make sure all is well with your X configuration
      first. See Stephen Lau's FAQ.

      5. You will probably need to add several supporting
      packages before Ogle will work. At least I did
      for RedHat.

      6. If your laptop uses the Nvidia GE Force Go chip
      and you want to play a DVD on an external monitor,
      you must start X with the external monitor as your
      display :0.0. See the previous thread starting
      with message 14646 on this list.

      Works great for me.

      Best,
      Ray