13775Re: [linux-dell-laptops] stupid n00b question on kernel compiles

  • Yazz D. Atlas
    Jul 2, 2002
      On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 00:43, coshea120 wrote:
      > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to whether this is
      > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct it if it's wrong.
      >
      > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and set the
      > configuration)
      > make dep
      > make clean
      > (if necessary) make modules
      > (if necessary) make modules_install
      > (if necessary) make install
      > reboot

      Well if you were on a Debian system I would recommend using the nice
      kernel-package tools. You can build kernel packages for the headers,
      source, docs, or just the kernel image. You can even use it to patch the
      kernel if you need to.

      # tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
      # cd kernel-source-2.4.18
      # make-kpkg --config menu --initrd --append-to-version -blah-blah \
      --revision 1 kernel_image

      after its done building the package you can install the kernel just by
      doing

      # dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.18-blah-blah_1_i386.deb

      I use grub so to make life even easier I have the following in
      /etc/kernel-img.conf. It updates my /boot/grub/menu.lst.

      # Do not create symbolic links in /
      # Turn off Lilo stuff
      do_symlinks = no
      do_bootloader = no

      # Initrds are OK for Grub
      do_initrd = yes

      # Run cool Grub stuff
      postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
      postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub

      If you don't used initrd images just remove the flag in the make-kpkg
      line and the set do_initrd to no in the /etc/kernel-img.conf

      Yazz D. Atlas <yazz@...>
      http://www.230volts.net/
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic