13772Re: [linux-dell-laptops] stupid n00b question on kernel compiles

  • emil kirschner
    Jul 2, 2002
      what I do is:

      - make mrproper
      - make [menu/x]config
      - make dep
      - make bzImage
      - [make and install the modules if needed]
      - cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /a_new_file_in_root
      - add the new image to the lilo file (/etc/lilo.conf)
      (don't remove your working image)
      - lilo (will commit your lilo change)
      - reboot

      keeping your old image allows you to very quickly
      reboot a clean system if the new image goes wrong. You
      can always remove your old image later.

      the location of your lilo.conf file may vary with your
      distro (I'm on slackware).

      Cheers,
      e.

      --- coshea120 <da3dalus@...> wrote:
      > Hey everyone, I just wanna quick verification as to
      > whether this is
      > the correct way to compile a kernel. Please correct
      > it if it's wrong.
      >
      > make menuconfig(or config, or xconfig, whatever, and
      > set the
      > configuration)
      > make dep
      > make clean
      > (if necessary) make modules
      > (if necessary) make modules_install
      > (if necessary) make install
      > reboot

      =====
      take a poor man to the disco and he will dance for a night.
      teach him how to scratch, and he will dance for ever!
      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic