11910Re: [linux-dell-laptops] CP M233XT and no sound

  • Rick Green
    Mar 31, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, orbitalbears wrote:

      > Help! I recently got a Dell CP M233XT and installed Mandrake 8.1 on
      > it. Everything works great except there is no sound. It has a
      > Crystal 4237B audio controller. I tried running "sndconfig" but it
      > didn't pick up the sound card. I put linux on this laptop so I can
      > learn more about it, so please give very basic instructions. For
      > example, where is the config file? Thanks in advance for your help.

      I have a CPi D233XT with the same sound chip, and I have not been able to
      get any of the 'free' drivers to work on this machine. Some of my
      attempts to configure alsasound have resulted in catastrophic system
      lockups.
      I was successful in loading the OSS drivers, but only after I had
      upgraded my kernel to 2.4.16, since the OSS driver was compiled for that
      kernel.

      I'm running SuSE 7.3 with a kernel from the unsupported ~mantel directory
      on the SuSE site.

      After my initial tests, I let the trial period expire, and I haven't yet
      ordered a permanent license.

      Rick Green
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic