10790Re: inspiron 8100

  • pbsriniv
    Feb 18, 2002
      I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..

      I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
      and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
      disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..

      The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
      the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
      mode..

      I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
      procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
      lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
      manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
      mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..

      I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
      switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
      Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.

      - Srinivas

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
      > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
      > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
      > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
      > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
      > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
      > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
      > install the distro thats going to give me the least
      > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
      > I should install?

      > http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic