10122Re: inspiron 8100

  • voha2
    Feb 2, 2002
      The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
      the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
      I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
      nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
      your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
      you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
      will not compile.
      If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
      system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.

      voha

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
      > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
      > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
      > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
      > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
      > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
      > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
      > install the distro thats going to give me the least
      > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
      > I should install?

      > http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic