Re: [blug-prog] Re: How to compile linux kernel ?

  • Mayank
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2009
      If you are compiling the kernel for use on your local machine the
      following link is pretty good -

      http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

      specific to Ubuntu but most things should apply to the other distros.

      --
      Have a nice day,
      Mynk

      http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=The_Sunfeast_World_10K_Run_Bangalore_2009_-_Run_Maadi_Run
      o__
      _> /__
      (_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier life and cleaner world! :)
    • vinod
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2009
        Dear Friends,

        Thanks for your constant support and your valuable inputs, which helped me a
        lot in
        compilation of kernel. Finally i have managed to compile the linux kernel.
        I would try to explore much more with the linux and its environment.

        Thank you
        Vinod

        On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:31 AM, vishal.gnutech@... <
        vishal.gnutech@...> wrote:

        > Dear Vinod,
        >
        > make && make modules_install && make install if you see make install in
        > the end it installs the kernel and put the image in boot partition now
        > if you reboot your system grub will show you the installed kernel
        > versions and you can select your kernel which you have just
        > compiled.Also in few distros it boots too fast so while you are
        > rebooting your system press down arrow key and it will show you the
        > option.Laters if your new kernel is working fine you can remove your old
        > kernel. and use the new one.
        >
        > Regards

      • Mayank
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2009

          > Dear Friends,
          >
          > Thanks for your constant support and your valuable inputs, which
          > helped me a
          > lot in
          > compilation of kernel. Finally i have managed to compile the linux kernel.
          > I would try to explore much more with the linux and its environment.

          One of the things I discovered recently and was looking for quite
          sometime was a single place with all the kernel API. The best
          Documentation can be found in the Linux sources itself.

          You can run the following command in the source directory to generate
          the DocBook:

          make ARCH=xxx CROSS_COMPILE=xxx-linux- *htmldocs

          *or simly

          *make htmldocs* # for a native build
          *
          *A folder - DocBook is generated under <linux-src>/Documentation. This
          contains a lot of folders one being kernel API. Havent' explored the
          others but the API one I found pretty useful when writing drivers.

          --
          Have a nice day,
          Mynk

          http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=Mirakles_do_happen
          o__
          _> /__
          (_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier life and cleaner world! :)