Re: How to compile linux kernel ?

  • vishal.gnutech@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2009
      Dear Vinod,

      make && make modules_install && make install if you see make install in
      the end it installs the kernel and put the image in boot partition now
      if you reboot your system grub will show you the installed kernel
      versions and you can select your kernel which you have just
      compiled.Also in few distros it boots too fast so while you are
      rebooting your system press down arrow key and it will show you the
      option.Laters if your new kernel is working fine you can remove your old
      kernel. and use the new one.

      Regards
    • Mayank
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2009
        If you are compiling the kernel for use on your local machine the
        following link is pretty good -

        http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

        specific to Ubuntu but most things should apply to the other distros.

        --
        Have a nice day,
        Mynk

        http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=The_Sunfeast_World_10K_Run_Bangalore_2009_-_Run_Maadi_Run
        o__
        _> /__
        (_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier life and cleaner world! :)
      • vinod
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2009
          Dear Friends,

          Thanks for your constant support and your valuable inputs, which helped me a
          lot in
          compilation of kernel. Finally i have managed to compile the linux kernel.
          I would try to explore much more with the linux and its environment.

          Thank you
          Vinod

          On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:31 AM, vishal.gnutech@... <
          vishal.gnutech@...> wrote:

          > Dear Vinod,
          >
          > make && make modules_install && make install if you see make install in
          > the end it installs the kernel and put the image in boot partition now
          > if you reboot your system grub will show you the installed kernel
          > versions and you can select your kernel which you have just
          > compiled.Also in few distros it boots too fast so while you are
          > rebooting your system press down arrow key and it will show you the
          > option.Laters if your new kernel is working fine you can remove your old
          > kernel. and use the new one.
          >
          > Regards

        • Mayank
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2009

            > Dear Friends,
            >
            > Thanks for your constant support and your valuable inputs, which
            > helped me a
            > lot in
            > compilation of kernel. Finally i have managed to compile the linux kernel.
            > I would try to explore much more with the linux and its environment.

            One of the things I discovered recently and was looking for quite
            sometime was a single place with all the kernel API. The best
            Documentation can be found in the Linux sources itself.

            You can run the following command in the source directory to generate
            the DocBook:

            make ARCH=xxx CROSS_COMPILE=xxx-linux- *htmldocs

            *or simly

            *make htmldocs* # for a native build
            *
            *A folder - DocBook is generated under <linux-src>/Documentation. This
            contains a lot of folders one being kernel API. Havent' explored the
            others but the API one I found pretty useful when writing drivers.

            --
            Have a nice day,
            Mynk

            http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=Mirakles_do_happen
            o__
            _> /__
            (_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier life and cleaner world! :)