Re: Way around the "high entry barrier" into linux kernel development

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In linux-bangalore-programming@yahoogroups.com, "ck_kashyap"
      <ck_kashyap@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I noticed that one of the question that was repeatedly asked was -
      > "is there an easy/well defined/step by step way to get into Linux
      > kernel development".

      Hi Kashyap,

      Can you let me know from where you got the
      /bin/update and /bin/sh utilities to run your linux 0.01 kernel.

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • CK Kashyap
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hi Eric,

        > Can you let me know from where you got the
        > /bin/update and /bin/sh utilities to run your linux
        > 0.01 kernel.

        I did not run "sh" on 0.01 - infact, 0.01 expected
        some old a.out type executable that I created using
        nasm and vi (yup hard coded). I ran a simple shell
        that I implementation - (that just did
        read/fork/exec).

        The real challenge was to get the kernel to compile
        and run. In 0.01 ... a lot of things were hardcoded -
        for instance ... page_directory was at physical
        address 0 - and this was assumed in various parts of
        the code.

        regards,
        Kashyap