Re: [blug-prog] Problem building gcc-3.4.3

  • Ganesan Rajagopal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2006

      > Hi All, I am trying to build and install gcc-3.4.3 and following is the
      > error I get. I have no clue from where to start the troubleshooting.

      What's the machine you're building on? Looks like an incompatible arch. Are
      you able to compile a simple test program? Hint: gcc requires a working
      compiler to build itself.

      Ganesan

      --
      Ganesan Rajagopal
    • Biju Chacko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2006
        On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:08:32 +0530, A <atul_tyagi261@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am trying to build and install gcc-3.4.3 and following is the error I
        > get. I have no clue from
        > where to start the troubleshooting.
        >
        > lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources$ cd gcc-build/
        > lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build$ ../gcc-3.4.3/configure
        > --prefix=/tools --libexecdir=/tools/lib
        > --with-local-prefix=/tools --disable-nls --enable-shared
        > --enable-languages=c
        > checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
        > checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
        > *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
        > target-libstdc++-v3 target-libf2c target-libffi target-boehm-gc
        > target-zlib target-libjava
        > zlib fastjar target-libobjc
        > (Any other directories should still work fine.)
        > /tools/bin/ld:/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../libc.so:
        > file format not recognized;
        > treating as linker script
        > /tools/bin/ld:/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../libc.so:5:
        > syntax error
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        > *** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c' failed.
        > *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
        > lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build$
        >

        > Following are the details of the host machine
        >
        > Release: Fedora Core 5
        > Kernel: 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
        >
        > Would appriciate poniters and/or suggestions.

        Install compat-* rpms from the distro CDs and then export CC='gcc32'. gcc
        is not guaranteed to build with newer versions and FC5 ships a 4.1.x
        compiler IIRC.

        -- b

      • A
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
          --- Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan@...> wrote:

          > What's the machine you're building on? Looks like an incompatible arch. Are
          > you able to compile a simple test program? Hint: gcc requires a working
          > compiler to build itself.

          I was able to compile test programs. lfs documentation clearly stated it won't work with FC4 but
          had information on FC5. I shall try what Biju has suggested and shall update you.

          Thanks,

          Atul

          http://in.answers.yahoo.com/