upgrading kernel

  • Deepan Chakravarthy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2006
      Hello,
      I compiled linux-2.6.15-1 kernel. I did
      $cp /boot/config-2.6.8 .config
      $make oldconfig
      $make
      $su
      $make modules_install

      After this i made changes in the menu.conf file for grub.
      When i choose the new kernel during bootup it leads to kernel panic and says "enter correct option for root=" option. I am very sure that my new kernel is in hda6 and i had entered root=/dev/hda6. My old kernel is also in the same partition.
      I used debian sarge.
      Please guide me.
      Thanks

      Deepan Chakravarthy N
      http://users.kaski-net.net/~deepan/

    • Pankaj chhabra
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
        >From: Deepan Chakravarthy <fossmaker@...>
        >To: "The_Linux_Corner@yahoogroups.com" <The_Linux_Corner@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [blug-prog] upgrading kernel
        >Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:32:05 -0800 (PST)
        >
        > Hello,
        > I compiled linux-2.6.15-1 kernel. I did
        > $cp /boot/config-2.6.8 .config
        > $make oldconfig
        > $make
        > $su
        > $make modules_install
        >
        > After this i made changes in the menu.conf file for grub.
        > When i choose the new kernel during bootup it leads to kernel panic and
        >says "enter correct option for root=" option. I am very sure that my new
        >kernel is in hda6 and i had entered root=/dev/hda6. My old kernel is also
        >in the same partition.

        Did you create initrd? If you building ext3 as a module, you will need to
        create initrd and point this in your configuration file. You can use the
        command "mkinitrd" to create the initrd image.