Re: [blug-prog] phplib availability

  • Dr Tarique Sani
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2005
      Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

      >is phplib generally available on servers that offer php hosting or is
      >it a request item?

      Niether and why do you want to use phpLIB anyways?

      Are you sure you are not talking about PEAR?

      Tarique

      PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com

      Coppermine Picture Gallery: http://coppermine.sf.net
    • Kenneth Gonsalves
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2005
        On Monday 11 Apr 2005 11:16 am, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
        > Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
        > >is phplib generally available on servers that offer php hosting or
        > > is it a request item?
        >
        > Niether and why do you want to use phpLIB anyways?

        well, i read this:

        <snip>
        PHPlib is a PHP application development framework that provides you
        with an easy to manage Object Oriented way to handle sessions,
        authentication and permissions in your PHP application. PHPlib also
        has serveral helper classes, prominent amongst them are the DB_sql,
        template, OOH forms and cart.
        </snip>

        and though it was a cool thingie to use, but wanted to know whether,
        after developing an app with it, i might find problems with getting
        hosting support - been burnt quite a few times using non-standard
        perl and python modules
        --
        regards
        kg

        http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
        tally ho! http://avsap.sourceforge.net
        ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
      • Dr Tarique Sani
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2005
          Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

          ><snip>
          > PHPlib is a PHP application development framework that provides you
          >with an easy to manage Object Oriented way to handle sessions,
          >authentication and permissions in your PHP application. PHPlib also
          >has serveral helper classes, prominent amongst them are the DB_sql,
          >template, OOH forms and cart.
          ></snip>
          >
          >and though it was a cool thingie to use, but wanted to know whether,
          >after developing an app with it, i might find problems with getting
          >hosting support - been burnt quite a few times using non-standard
          >perl and python modules

          phpLIB is a pure PHP based framework - throw it in a directory and it
          will work as long as you are allowed to include files from that dir - no
          installation needed

          We no longer use phplib sessions since the time native sessions were
          introduced in PHP4, nor do we use the auth class - we cooked up our own

          Yes we do use the OOH forms and DB_sql, for templates we now use
          SMARTY for its speed and familiarity to designers. However you might be
          better off with a template engine which uses PHP in templates rather
          than some arcane tags - after all the purpose is to separate the domain
          logic (Model) from display logic (View) and not PHP from HTML as most
          newbies tend to think.

          HTH

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2005
            On Monday 11 Apr 2005 6:28 pm, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:

            > were introduced in PHP4, nor do we use the auth class - we cooked
            > up our own

            is this released in open source?

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2005
              Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

              >On Monday 11 Apr 2005 6:28 pm, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
              >

              >>were introduced in PHP4, nor do we use the auth class - we cooked
              >>up our own
              >>

              >is this released in open source?

              Awaiting release for lack of documentation - whenever done it will be
              under LGPL

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2005
                On Tuesday 12 Apr 2005 11:15 am, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                > Awaiting release for lack of documentation - whenever done it will
                > be under LGPL

                release first - document later