Check for Local/NIS user.

  • Deekshit M
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
      Hi All,
      Is there any way to check whether I am a local user
      or using NIS/YP account, using a simple C program ?

      Another general, Linux question; Is it possible to
      have a local user having a UID same as another user
      over NIS.

      Thanks and Regards
      Deekshit M

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Srini Sankaranarayanan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
        Deekshit M wrote:

        >Hi All,
        > Is there any way to check whether I am a local user
        >or using NIS/YP account, using a simple C program ?

        Donno if this is possible with a simple C program.. You may have to do
        some RPC programming.

        See /usr/include/rpcsvc/yp.h file.

        > Another general, Linux question; Is it possible to
        >have a local user having a UID same as another user
        >over NIS.

        Yes. It all depends on /etc/nsswitch.conf.. If you have

        passwd: files nis

        then /etc/passwd will be looked up first.