permissions for session handling

  • Kenneth Gonsalves
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2004
      hi,
      i am writing a cgi session handling module where apache will write the state
      information to a file. what is the minimum permissions i have to give to this
      directory so info can be read and written?

      regards
      kg
    • Dr Tarique Sani
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

        >hi,
        >i am writing a cgi session handling module where apache will write the state
        >information to a file. what is the minimum permissions i have to give to this
        >directory so info can be read and written?

        Depends on who owns the directory in the first place - gives you a hint?

        Tarique

      • Philip Tellis
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Sometime Today, Kenneth Gonsalves assembled some asciibets to say:

          > i am writing a cgi session handling module where apache will write the

          why not just use CGI::Session or Apache::Session?

          > state information to a file. what is the minimum permissions i have to
          > give to this directory so info can be read and written?

          wx for the user that the web server runs as.
        • Kenneth Gonsalves
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
            On Monday 01 November 2004 09:01 pm, you wrote:
            > Sometime Today, Kenneth Gonsalves assembled some asciibets to say:
            > > i am writing a cgi session handling module where apache will write the
            >
            > why not just use CGI::Session or Apache::Session?

            well, for my perl stuff i use CGI::SecureState - which, in my opinion, is a
            sensational module. It looks after all the session stuff without imposing a
            programming world view on the user. I was looking for a similar module in
            python, but couldnt find one.

            > > state information to a file. what is the minimum permissions i have to
            > > give to this directory so info can be read and written?
            >
            > wx for the user that the web server runs as.

            dropped the idea. i dont have root access, so i cant chown the directory -
            will have to store the session info in a database