RE: [blug-prog] Simputer Programming?

  • SANANDAN
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      >Has anyone here ever done any programming on/for the Simputer?
      We wrote a GPS program for the Simputer as a college project.

      >And the ditto goes for me. Simputer, with the right marketing, pricing
      >and develop-support could do wonders. I'm interested in development too,
      >and I suppose there would be many others. By the way, are there any
      >usable emulaters for the Simputer available yet? The Simputer is
      >presently costly enough to be afforded just to play with.

      The simputer runs a full blown Linux Kernel(ARM port). Full C library is there So you do not need any special emulators. Just develop your code on your Linux PC. Test is on your PC. Then cross compile for ARM. (Loads of free cross compilers on the web).Dump the binary on the simputer and woh-la it works exactly the same way as it did on your PC. The simputer has GTK 1.2 libraries also. You can even develop GUI applications also in the same way. Cross compiling GUI applications can be a headache. To avoid cross compiling you can do native compiling. There are ARM systems available for free (THe skiff clusters at Linux handhelds) on the net. Just telnet into these systems. Then scp your code to them. Compile it. Then scp the binary to your machine. After this dump the binary on to the simputer. Its that simple. Go for it guys!!!!

      Rgds,
      Sanandan

      Ps: Some floating point issues might arise when you run the binary on the Simputer. But it is minor issue and can be easily handeled.

    • Atul Chitnis
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Shantanu Kumar wrote:

        > And the ditto goes for me. Simputer, with the right marketing, pricing
        > and develop-support could do wonders. I'm interested in development too,
        > and I suppose there would be many others. By the way, are there any
        > usable emulaters for the Simputer available yet? The Simputer is
        > presently costly enough to be afforded just to play with.

        Note that I am talking about Open Source projects here. I am trying to
        convince the people behind the Simputer that they are doing it all wrong,
        and that we (the Open Source world) can do it right.

        If you are interested in joining up, mail me off-list. Quite a number of
        people already have, almost enough to validate a separate list (I don't
        want to clutter up this list while initial discussions are on, because
        there will be a lot of non-programming chatter as well - would kill the
        focus of this list).

        Atul

        Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
        Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 2344-0397
      • Prabhu
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          hi,
          If you are going to develop applications using GTK, make sure that the
          gtk window size is of resolution 240 X 320 pixels or lesser. i.e.,
          when we write application on our desktop linux box, keep the gtk window
          size 240 X 320, so that when finally we cross compile and run it on
          simputer , the application window sits perfectly on simputer screen.
          Some excellent SDK available from PICOPETA- see
          www.picopeta.com
          http://amidasimputer.com/sdk/
          earlier i worked on one such gui-based application using C-GTK

          --
          Prabhu
          MultiTech Software Systems India Pvt. Ltd.