Re: [blug-prog] POP3: to find new message and read message satus

  • Manish Malik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
      Durai wrote:

      > I am writting Simple POP3 client on Linux. My program
      >retrives all messages & delete it.
      >How to know that particular message is READ or UNREAD message?

      POP3 (RFC 1939) doesn't define any permanent flags (including the
      (un)read status). Unless your POP3 implementation offers any additional
      functionality for this purpose, the application (client) may keep track
      of the message IDs it has already downloaded/read, and of course this
      method won't work if using multiple POP3 clients for the same mailbox.
      Otherwise, your client can simply keep track of the newest message ID it
      has seen.

      The LAST command may have been useful in such circumstances, but it was
      removed in RFC 1725, and still not in 1939.

      - Manish
    • Verma Uday Karan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 9:45 PM
        --- Durai <tech_durai@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I am writting Simple POP3 client
        > on Linux. My program
        > retrives all messages & delete it.
        >
        > How to know that particular message is READ or
        > UNREAD message?

        POP3 RFC
        http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail