weighing machine

  • Kenneth Gonsalves
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
      could anyone give me some info on where to begin to interface an electronic
      weighing machine with a linux box?
      --
      regards
      kg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
        > could anyone give me some info on where to begin to interface an
        > electronic
        > weighing machine with a linux box?

        Maybe you can begin by telling a little more about the weighing machine!
      • Philip S Tellis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
          On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

          > could anyone give me some info on where to begin to interface an
          > electronic weighing machine with a linux box?

          The parallel port might be a good place. Serial port requires clock
          synchronisation and stuff.

          --
          Your supervisor is thinking about you.
        • Philip S Tellis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
            On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Philip S Tellis wrote:

            > The parallel port might be a good place.  Serial port requires clock
            > synchronisation and stuff.

            or maybe even line-in on the sound card!

            --
            A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
            -- Ramsey Clark
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2004
              On Thursday 29 January 2004 12:19, C K Kashyap wrote:
              > > could anyone give me some info on where to begin to interface an
              > > electronic
              > > weighing machine with a linux box?
              >
              > Maybe you can begin by telling a little more about the weighing machine!
              standard electronic weighing machine, gives output to either a printer or to
              a DOS/Windows pc - just thought that if anyone on the list has had experience
              with it i could save some time
              --
              regards
              kg
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2004
                > standard electronic weighing machine, gives output to either a printer
                or
                > a DOS/Windows pc - just thought that if anyone on the list has had
                > experience

                parallel port...sounds easy...

                You can access port 0x378 from a simple char device driver and read up
                the parallel port. There is some deal about checking the STROBE pin etc
                but info is easy to find. (For all you know the existing device /dev/lp0
                might work...I have never tried it)

                Once you have the device driver in place, you can create a node - say
                /dev/wm, and then connect your weighing machine to the computer. Mount
                the weighing machine and then say cat /dev/wm and bingo, you should be
                able to say the printout on your screen :)

                HTH
                Kashyap
              • gora_mohanty
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2004
                  --- In linux-bangalore-programming@yahoogroups.com, "C K Kashyap"
                  <kashyap@i...> wrote:

                  > You can access port 0x378 from a simple char device driver and read up
                  > the parallel port. There is some deal about checking the STROBE pin etc
                  > but info is easy to find. (For all you know the existing device /dev/lp0
                  > might work...I have never tried it)

                  You don't need to write a device driver specifically
                  for this, nor should you assume that the parallel port
                  is at 0x378. The easiest way that I have found is to
                  automatically load the parport driver that comes with
                  Linux, and use libieee1284 from a user-space program.
                  Do a Google search for libieee1284, and the Linux
                  parallel port homepage, or let me know if you cannot
                  find it. Of course, you will need to have an idea of
                  what protocol is used by the weighing machine, and how
                  to decode the data that you read from it. I can also
                  send you some examples of code using libieee1284, but
                  besides the part about setting up the parallel port and
                  reading/writing from it, it is of course specific to the
                  particular device that we were using.

                  Regards,
                  Gora
                • Kenneth Gonsalves
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29, 2004
                    On Friday 30 January 2004 00:27, gora_mohanty wrote:

                    > You don't need to write a device driver specifically
                    > for this, nor should you assume that the parallel port
                    > is at 0x378. The easiest way that I have found is to
                    > automatically load the parport driver that comes with
                    > Linux, and use libieee1284 from a user-space program.
                    > Do a Google search for libieee1284, and the Linux
                    > parallel port homepage, or let me know if you cannot
                    > find it. Of course, you will need to have an idea of
                    > what protocol is used by the weighing machine, and how
                    > to decode the data that you read from it. I can also
                    > send you some examples of code using libieee1284, but
                    > besides the part about setting up the parallel port and
                    > reading/writing from it, it is of course specific to the
                    > particular device that we were using.
                    just what i needed - found several python scripts to fool around with the
                    parallel port - will report on it after trying them out (if i dont blow up my
                    machine)
                    --
                    regards
                    kg