on finding .o files of a shared object

  • SiM
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
      hi all,
      how can i find out the .o files which makes up a .so file,. is there any tool or utility ?

      any pointers or suggestions welcome,

      TIA,
      simith

      Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and more.Download now.

    • C K Kashyap
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
        > how can i find out the .o files which makes up a .so file,.
        is >there any tool or utility ?

        Linux comes with a utility called file...just do
        $ file filename

        and it will spit out the details!

        Its not just for .o files or .so files...It can be used for a variety of
        files...check man file for details!

        Regards,
        Kashyap
      • Kiran Kumar
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2003
          --- C K Kashyap <kashyap@...> wrote:
          > > how can i find out the .o files which
          > makes up a .so file,.
          > is >there any tool or utility ?
          >
          > Linux comes with a utility called file...just do
          > $ file filename

          I guess that was not what was asked for. It was to
          find the constituent .o files of a .so.

          =====
          Regards,
          Kiran Kumar Immidi

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • C K Kashyap
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2003
            > I guess that was not what was asked for. It was to
            >find the constituent .o files of a .so.

            Oops...my mistake.
          • SiM
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2003
              C K Kashyap <kashyap@...> wrote:

              > I guess that was not what was asked for. It was to
              >find the constituent .o files of a .so.

              Oops...my mistake.

              Yes, i meant .o files which makes up a .so file , and not its type , any idea how to find that out????

              cheers,

              Simith

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Before posting to this list, read the list rules FIRST!

              http://linux-bangalore.org/discussions/rules.php

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
                >Yes, i meant .o files which makes up a .so file , and not its type ,
                any >idea how to find that out????

                By default, gcc does put in the details like the source file etc in the
                object file....you can check it out by compiling a file.c into file.o
                using gcc -c and then vi file.o...you can see that the name of the
                source file is present. However, after running "strip" on it, such
                information is discarded.

                Standard .so files are usually stripped to reduce its size so Im afraid,
                you cannot really get to know the names of the .o files! Unless you get
                your hands on the Makefile ;)

                Regards,
                Kashyap