Re: [blug-prog] IRC Channel

  • Biju Chacko
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:14:49 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

      > On Wednesday 01 October 2003 10:34, you wrote:
      > > Hello:
      > >
      > > *** Apologies in advance for the cross-post ***
      > does an apology cross/top posts absolve one from being monitored?

      Not really. I had hoped that since the post was more or less on-topic it would
      pass muster. Again, I apologise if it was annoying.

      If the listadmin decides to moderate me, I won't argue with him.

      -- b

      Biju 'botsie' Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl dot net
      http://www.symonds.net/~botsie Public Key available on request
    • Shuvam Misra
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        > > > *** Apologies in advance for the cross-post ***
        > > does an apology cross/top posts absolve one from being monitored?
        >
        > Not really. I had hoped that since the post was more or less on-topic it would
        > pass muster. Again, I apologise if it was annoying.
        >
        > If the listadmin decides to moderate me, I won't argue with him.

        Just curious: what is the rationale behind preventing cross-posting,
        if the post is relevant to this list? I have no problems with rules once
        I understand their rationale. :) Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

        regards,
        Shuvam
      • Biju Chacko
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          ** moving to non-tech list **

          On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:21:36 +0530 (IST), Shuvam Misra wrote:

          > > > does an apology cross/top posts absolve one from being monitored?
          > >
          > > Not really. I had hoped that since the post was more or less on-topic it
          > > would pass muster. Again, I apologise if it was annoying.
          > >
          > > If the listadmin decides to moderate me, I won't argue with him.
          >
          > Just curious: what is the rationale behind preventing cross-posting,
          > if the post is relevant to this list? I have no problems with rules once
          > I understand their rationale. :) Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

          AFAIK, it's because cross-posts are annoying to people subscribed to more than
          one list. The general rule on LB lists is that etiquette is enforced with a very
          big stick. :)

          -- b

          Biju 'botsie' Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl dot net
          http://www.symonds.net/~botsie Public Key available on request
        • Atul Chitnis
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Shuvam Misra wrote:

            > Just curious: what is the rationale behind preventing cross-posting,
            > if the post is relevant to this list? I have no problems with rules once
            > I understand their rationale. :) Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

            <admin>

            What would have been distasteful would have been a post like "I have a
            problem with my Potzrebie V0.39 alpha, and I need it, so email me a
            solution *now*", then posting this to 5-6 lists as a crosspost, resulting
            in anyone replying to the post ending up inadvertantly crossposting to
            lists s/he doesnt want to post to.

            It also implies that the poster doesnt have confidence in getting his
            answer from our list(s), and so is hedging his bets. It also proves that
            s/he is a lazy sloth, and can't take that extra minute to post of
            individual messages to lists.

            If you want to post to the linux-bangalore-* lists, do not have anything
            else but ONE linux-bangalore-.... list-address in the header, dont
            crosspost to a bunch of other non-linux-bangalore lists as well.

            And unless you are an admin, dont cross-post announcements across the
            linux-bangalore-* lists - mail the announcement to an admin and have him
            post it.

            </admin>

            In this case, Biju checked with an admin - himself, which was perfectly
            legit. If Biju doesn't know what a legit cross-post announcement is on our
            lists, I doubt that anyone does.

            Biju's post was an announcement that was relevant to the BLUG, since he
            was adding a function to the BLUG's communication methods. If he feels he
            needs moderation by a listadmin, he can do it himself - I personally don't
            see a problem with this.

            If there was a problem, then just wait till I start crossposting to all
            the BLUG lists with LB/2003 announcements and news - that will really give
            the admins something to crib about! ;-)

            The apology bit is easily explained. See Question 10 on this page -
            http://linux-bangalore.org/resources/covercharge.php. The last 4 points
            explain things perfectly - and are coincidentally written by Biju. :-)

            Atul

            p.s. Lots of fun on the IRC channel - drop in and see for yourself!

            --
            Linux Bangalore/2003 - India's biggest Open Source event
            December 2-4, Bangalore, India
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
              On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:36:40 +0530 (IST), Atul Chitnis wrote:

              > In this case, Biju checked with an admin - himself, which was perfectly
              > legit. If Biju doesn't know what a legit cross-post announcement is on our
              > lists, I doubt that anyone does.
              >
              > Biju's post was an announcement that was relevant to the BLUG, since he
              > was adding a function to the BLUG's communication methods. If he feels he
              > needs moderation by a listadmin, he can do it himself - I personally don't
              > see a problem with this.

              Nobody is shanghaing me into being an admin again. :-)

              As a ex-admin I had a fair idea of what would be on-topic and acceptable. But kg
              is quite right that I should have submitted the cross-post to the listadmin
              (Atul). I realised that when kg pointed it out to me.

              Mea Culpa.

              This discussion is just noise on this ML. We really ought to drop it before we
              get crucified by everybody else.

              -- b

              Biju 'botsie' Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl dot net
              http://www.symonds.net/~botsie Public Key available on request
            • Kenneth Gonsalves
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003

                > > > does an apology cross/top posts absolve one from being monitored?
                > >
                > > Not really. I had hoped that since the post was more or less on-topic it
                > > would pass muster. Again, I apologise if it was annoying.
                > >
                > > If the listadmin decides to moderate me, I won't argue with him.
                >
                > Just curious: what is the rationale behind preventing cross-posting,
                > if the post is relevant to this list? I have no problems with rules once
                > I understand their rationale. :) Maybe I'm missing something obvious?
                etiquette demands that all proposed cross posts be submitted to the list
                admin who then decides whether it may be posted or not. the list admin is,
                after all, the only guy who has access to all the related lists, and is,
                hopefully, the only competent authority to determine whether a cross post is
                necessary. i cannot recall any instance in the past three years or so on the
                BLUG lists where this etiquette has been followed. I just thought that if i
                raise the point, the next member who wants to announce his newest
                contribution to the opensource world or whatever would be encouraged to
                submit his announcement to the list admin, who would post the same to the
                lists he considers relevant
                kg

                > regards,
                > Shuvam
                >

                > Before posting to this list, read the list rules FIRST!
                >
                > http://linux-bangalore.org/discussions/rules.php

              • Kenneth Gonsalves
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                  > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Shuvam Misra wrote:
                  > > Just curious: what is the rationale behind preventing cross-posting,

                  > In this case, Biju checked with an admin - himself, which was perfectly
                  > legit. If Biju doesn't know what a legit cross-post announcement is on our
                  > lists, I doubt that anyone does.
                  >
                  > Biju's post was an announcement that was relevant to the BLUG, since he
                  > was adding a function to the BLUG's communication methods.
                  i feel the rules should not only be observed, but should be seen to be
                  observed. If you are entitled to cross post as an admin - post as an admin
                  with the proper beginning and ending tags, without apologies. Else, submit
                  it to the admin and let him post it. So if a deluge of lb2003 cross posts are
                  heading our way - let them be bracketed with the proper tags, so newbies wont
                  start getting wrong ideas.
                  kg