Re: [blug-prog] diff. bet multiprg. and multitasking?

  • nikhil.manchanda@dartmouth.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
      --- You wrote:
      hi,

      sorry for asking very basic qn. I want to know the diff. between
      multiprogramming and multitasking. I gone thru several links pointed by
      google. Almost all of them are confusing the two terms. After going thru
      tanenbaum, it looks to me that

      multiprg. + time sharing = multitasking.

      Is my understanding correct? or both of them are same or what?
      --- end of quote ---

      As far as I know, both are really similar with one subtle difference. That
      subtle difference being what is used to control the multiple 'processes'.

      Multitasking refers to a 'process' that creates and/or controls other processes
      or tasks to perform different functions for a user.

      On the other hand multiprogramming is more about a number of users trying to
      control a set of limited resources. Thus here it's not the parent 'process',
      but the CPU itself that is controlling all the various processes.

      Hope this helps,

      -Nikhil

      ____________________ /"\
      Nikhil Manchanda \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
      nik@... X Against HTML Mail
      / \
    • Subhash Chandra
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
        Multitasking means the ability to execute multiple tasks at the same time (by OS on a single CPU).
        There are 2 kinds of multitasking (preemptive and non-preemptive).

        Multiprogramming refers to the programming u do in multitasking environment and
        exploiting the multitasking. Example is writing a web server.

        Generally people use them interchangeably because u can do multiprogramming on a multitasking
        system.

        Another word to look for is Multiprocessing, where more than one CPU is involved.

        Subhash.