RE: [blug-prog] kill kernel thread ???

  • Vigneshwar Baliga
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6 1:28 AM
      Hi !
      As far as I know not much of a difference in linking method!.
      I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there is
      no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could
      locate, exit_thread () and kernel_thread() in
      ..arch/i386/kernel/process.c . That too the exit_thread is dummy
      function, I mean no body for the function.
      The strange thing is I grep'ed through My colleagues comp (2.4.7-10
      Redhat 7.x) and there too I could not find it. Can you pls grep for
      "xxxx_kthread" and tell me where it is defined in your source tree. I'll
      just check it up.
      I guess I may be missing some thing !
      -- Vignesh Baliga

      >>> ameya.mitragotri@... 03/06/03 01:40PM >>>
      Hi,
      I have used kernel threads sucessfully (starting and stopping) in
      2.4.18-3 but then it was in
      a dynamically loadable module (in the cleanup). I used the same
      example
      as in the earlier link.
      I followed the same approach of waking the thread after changing a var
      it checks.
      I guess the same code should be able to work for static drivers as
      well.
      Else theres some ambiguity here. It means that code should be
      different
      for static drivers and dynamic
      Drivers.

      Can u post the code if possible???

      ameya

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6 2:24 AM
        >> I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there is
        >> no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could

        Theres nothing strange there ;-)
        Please read the explanation on the site. All u need to do is cut and
        paste the code and see
        it working for you . start_kthread, exit_kthread and other functions
        have been implemented in
        The same code on that site mentioned earlier.

        U need to implement similar functions (if not the same) inside ur
        driver.

        It works for dynamic, please try it for static and let us know.

        thanks
        ameya

        ----------

        **************************Disclaimer**************************************************

        Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged'
        and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
        addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information
        contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

      • Damarugendra M
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6 7:35 PM
          kill_proc works in 2.4.x . its not a hack IMHO. but its the responsibility of
          the thread to check for signal_pending() i guess.

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Damarugendra M
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6 7:43 PM
            hey baliga,
            did u read the article? the guy in the article had implemented start_kthread,
            exit_kthread etc. as the wrapers around what kernel provides. so u can use the
            wrappers like user space threads. obviously u wont get them if u grep through
            the sources.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6 8:35 PM
              Hi Ameya !
              Well ... , I am very very Sory !, I dint Check the html page you
              sent me correctly. :-( Some how , .. Due to my careless ness , I guess
              I missed out the code section in the that page. and assumed that the
              "xxxx_kthread" is a kernel function, So went about grepping the kernel
              all around ! :-)
              ...and thanks a lot. , well I Came to know from the code
              example..that, all you need to do, to exit from the thread (kill the
              thread) is to come out of the loop.
              So sorry for trouble I caused, and all the confusion . :-(
              Regards
              Vignesh Baliga

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6 8:42 PM
                Hi Damaru !,
                Well, ... That's the Silly part of me ! :-(
                I ... Some how dint see the whole html page Ameya had sent. I
                Missed the code section, and assumed that the function, he has mentioned
                is a kernel function, and just started looking for its implementation
                all around ... A bit Impatient (I guess) . Well as It is said …
                "Assumption is the Mother of all … troubles" .
                Yes, I am Sorry for creating such a Confusion and trouble.
                Regards
                Vignesh Baliga

                >>> damaru_m@... 03/07/03 09:13AM >>>
                hey baliga,
                did u read the article? the guy in the article had implemented
                start_kthread,
                exit_kthread etc. as the wrapers around what kernel provides. so u can
                use the
                wrappers like user space threads. obviously u wont get them if u grep
                through
                the sources.

                --- Vigneshwar Baliga <vigneshwarb@...> wrote:
                > Hi !
                > As far as I know not much of a difference in linking method!.
                > I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there
                is
                > no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could
                > locate, exit_thread () and kernel_thread() in
                > ..arch/i386/kernel/process.c . That too the exit_thread is dummy
                > function, I mean no body for the function.
                > The strange thing is I grep'ed through My colleagues comp
                (2.4.7-10
                > Redhat 7.x) and there too I could not find it. Can you pls grep for
                > "xxxx_kthread" and tell me where it is defined in your source tree.
                I'll
                > just check it up.
                > I guess I may be missing some thing !
                > -- Vignesh Baliga

                > Hi,
                > I have used kernel threads sucessfully (starting and stopping) in
                > 2.4.18-3 but then it was in
                > a dynamically loadable module (in the cleanup). I used the same
                > example
                > as in the earlier link.
                > I followed the same approach of waking the thread after changing a
                var
                > it checks.
                > I guess the same code should be able to work for static drivers as
                > well.
                > Else theres some ambiguity here. It means that code should be
                > different
                > for static drivers and dynamic
                > Drivers.
                >
                > Can u post the code if possible???
                >
                > ameya

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/

                Before you post to this list, please read
                http://linux-bangalore.org/articles/smart-questions.php

                Your
                use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/