RE: [blug-prog] kill kernel thread ???

  • Ameya Mitragotri
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
      Hi,
      I have used kernel threads sucessfully (starting and stopping) in
      2.4.18-3 but then it was in
      a dynamically loadable module (in the cleanup). I used the same example
      as in the earlier link.
      I followed the same approach of waking the thread after changing a var
      it checks.
      I guess the same code should be able to work for static drivers as well.
      Else theres some ambiguity here. It means that code should be different
      for static drivers and dynamic
      Drivers.

      Can u post the code if possible???

      ameya

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
        Hi !
        As far as I know not much of a difference in linking method!.
        I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there is
        no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could
        locate, exit_thread () and kernel_thread() in
        ..arch/i386/kernel/process.c . That too the exit_thread is dummy
        function, I mean no body for the function.
        The strange thing is I grep'ed through My colleagues comp (2.4.7-10
        Redhat 7.x) and there too I could not find it. Can you pls grep for
        "xxxx_kthread" and tell me where it is defined in your source tree. I'll
        just check it up.
        I guess I may be missing some thing !
        -- Vignesh Baliga

        >>> ameya.mitragotri@... 03/06/03 01:40PM >>>
[...]

        ----------

        **************************Disclaimer************************************************

        Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited
        is
        'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the
        individual
        or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any use,
        copying
        or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL in any
        manner

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
          >> I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there is
          >> no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could

          Theres nothing strange there ;-)
          Please read the explanation on the site. All u need to do is cut and
          paste the code and see
          it working for you . start_kthread, exit_kthread and other functions
          have been implemented in
          The same code on that site mentioned earlier.

          U need to implement similar functions (if not the same) inside ur
          driver.

          It works for dynamic, please try it for static and let us know.

          thanks
          ameya

          ----------

          **************************Disclaimer**************************************************

          Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged'
          and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
          addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information
          contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

        • Damarugendra M
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
            kill_proc works in 2.4.x . its not a hack IMHO. but its the responsibility of
            the thread to check for signal_pending() i guess.

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Damarugendra M
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
              hey baliga,
              did u read the article? the guy in the article had implemented start_kthread,
              exit_kthread etc. as the wrapers around what kernel provides. so u can use the
              wrappers like user space threads. obviously u wont get them if u grep through
              the sources.

            • Vigneshwar Baliga
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
                Hi Ameya !
                Well ... , I am very very Sory !, I dint Check the html page you
                sent me correctly. :-( Some how , .. Due to my careless ness , I guess
                I missed out the code section in the that page. and assumed that the
                "xxxx_kthread" is a kernel function, So went about grepping the kernel
                all around ! :-)
                ...and thanks a lot. , well I Came to know from the code
                example..that, all you need to do, to exit from the thread (kill the
                thread) is to come out of the loop.
                So sorry for trouble I caused, and all the confusion . :-(
                Regards
                Vignesh Baliga

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2003
                  Hi Damaru !,
                  Well, ... That's the Silly part of me ! :-(
                  I ... Some how dint see the whole html page Ameya had sent. I
                  Missed the code section, and assumed that the function, he has mentioned
                  is a kernel function, and just started looking for its implementation
                  all around ... A bit Impatient (I guess) . Well as It is said …
                  "Assumption is the Mother of all … troubles" .
                  Yes, I am Sorry for creating such a Confusion and trouble.
                  Regards
                  Vignesh Baliga

                  >>> damaru_m@... 03/07/03 09:13AM >>>
                  hey baliga,
                  did u read the article? the guy in the article had implemented
                  start_kthread,
                  exit_kthread etc. as the wrapers around what kernel provides. so u can
                  use the
                  wrappers like user space threads. obviously u wont get them if u grep
                  through
                  the sources.

                  --- Vigneshwar Baliga <vigneshwarb@...> wrote:
                  > Hi !
                  > As far as I know not much of a difference in linking method!.
                  > I am Working on 2.4.18-14 redhat 8, I grep'ed the source, there
                  is
                  > no mention of the function start_kthread, exit_kthread. I just could
                  > locate, exit_thread () and kernel_thread() in
                  > ..arch/i386/kernel/process.c . That too the exit_thread is dummy
                  > function, I mean no body for the function.
                  > The strange thing is I grep'ed through My colleagues comp
                  (2.4.7-10
                  > Redhat 7.x) and there too I could not find it. Can you pls grep for
                  > "xxxx_kthread" and tell me where it is defined in your source tree.
                  I'll
                  > just check it up.
                  > I guess I may be missing some thing !
                  > -- Vignesh Baliga

                  > Hi,
                  > I have used kernel threads sucessfully (starting and stopping) in
                  > 2.4.18-3 but then it was in
                  > a dynamically loadable module (in the cleanup). I used the same
                  > example
                  > as in the earlier link.
                  > I followed the same approach of waking the thread after changing a
                  var
                  > it checks.
                  > I guess the same code should be able to work for static drivers as
                  > well.
                  > Else theres some ambiguity here. It means that code should be
                  > different
                  > for static drivers and dynamic
                  > Drivers.
                  >
                  > Can u post the code if possible???
                  >
                  > ameya

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/

                  Before you post to this list, please read
                  http://linux-bangalore.org/articles/smart-questions.php

                  Your
                  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/