Re: [blug-prog] Help to analyse core-dump

  • Prafulla Harpanhalli
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2002
      never tried analysing core but single stepping should
      easily tell you where exactly u r trying to access
      illegal memory.

      HTH
      --- Evangeline Sakkari <esakkari@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I need some help regarding how to analyse a core
      > file using the gdb tool.
      >
      > Suppose if a segmentation fault occurs bcoz of
      > illegal memory access...& if core is dumped. How can
      > i make out where the fault has occured??
      >
      > -Eva
      >
      > Catch all the cricket action. Download Yahoo! Score
      > tracker

      > removed]

      =====
      __Prafulla__

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Kiran Kumar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
        Hi,
        You could try a couple of things
        - In the debugger (gdb), you will be notified of a
        SIGSEGV when there is an illegal memory access, so you
        can know the line number and line where this occurred.

        - After you get the core, you could do
        gdb <core-file> <binary>, where binary is the
        executable which produced the core. Then at the the
        gdb prompt, type 'where', it will show you the stack
        trace, leading to the function where you had a
        sigsegv.
        Regards,
        Kiran Kumar Immidi

      • prafullakh <prafullakh@yahoo.com>