RE: [blug-prog] Help to analyse core-dump

  • Madan U S
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi,
      I use the following using dbx
      # dbx /path/core
      -
      - trace

      This would give me a trace of the last few functions
      called in order....
      Mebbe you can try the same with gdb..

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
        Hi ,

        > > I need some help regarding how to analyse a core
        > > file using the gdb tool.
        > >
        > > Suppose if a segmentation fault occurs bcoz of
        > > illegal memory access...& if core is dumped. How can
        > > i make out where the fault has occured??
        > >
        > > -Eva

        Regrading the analysing the core u can either say

        gdb <u'r program name> <core>
        In this case u'r program should be compiled with the option of
        -g.
        Only in that case the augmented symbol table will be generated for
        the better tracking with respect to user.

        or other option is

        gdb -core=corefilename

        or gdb -c corefilename

        Bye
        Vishal
      • Vis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          Hi all,

          > > I need some help regarding how to analyse a core
          > > file using the gdb tool.
          > >
          > > Suppose if a segmentation fault occurs bcoz of
          > > illegal memory access...& if core is dumped. How can
          > > i make out where the fault has occured??
          > >
          > > -Eva

          Ok to analyse Core file using GDB u can do the following

          gdb <program_name> <core_file>

          U can also go for

          gdb -c core_file
          or
          gdb -core=core_file

          note:the program has to be compiled with -g option.In other case
          the augmented symbol table won't be generated which is used to
          debug.

          Bye...

          Vishal

          ...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger".
          Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it.
          Linus