how to get ethernet address programatically?

  • Omanakuttan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4 1:59 AM
      Hi group,
      How to get ethernet address using a program on linux.
      Is there an entry in proc? where is that? I am searching /proc/net/*
      if not what may be the other way round?

      Thanks for your time.
      Om.
    • Venugopal Maddukuri
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4 2:23 AM
        On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 14:29, Omanakuttan wrote:

        > How to get ethernet address using a program on linux.

        /sbin/ifconfig

        would give you the interface(ethernet) info...look for something like
        this..

        eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:A4:0A:74:88

        > Is there an entry in proc? where is that? I am searching /proc/net/*

        don't know if there is an entry there... But should it be there
        ?

        cherio
        venu