System processing time.

  • shashimc2002
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 1:02 AM
      Hello everybody,

      I am trying to estimate the time taken by the system to process
      packets at different stages. I am basically trying to find out where
      the bottleneck is, in some 386 and 486 machines, while processing
      packets.

      Can you please let me know how I could go about finding out the time
      spent in processing the packet at different stages: from the moment
      it is received by the Ethernet card to the time when it is delivered
      to the application. Do I have any system call / lib / command for
      this? Or do we have an ioctl() for this ?

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      -Shashidhar.
    • Aneesh Kumar K.V
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 1:56 AM
        Hi,

        If you want to get the time difference with high precision from the
        user space application use clock_gettime( The man page may be available
        on linux so check solaris or Tru64 box around. If not give a google
        serach ) and use CPU resolution. Inside kernel check for rdtsc().

        Make sure your Time stamp counter doesn't overflow. That is you are
        measuring a long time gap.

        -aneesh

        >On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 13:32, shashimc2002 wrote: Hello everybody,

        >I am trying to estimate the time taken by the system to process
        >packets at different stages. I am basically trying to find out where
        >the bottleneck is, in some 386 and 486 machines, while processing
        >packets.

        >Can you please let me know how I could go about finding out the time
        >spent in processing the packet at different stages: from the moment
        >it is received by the Ethernet card to the time when it is delivered
        >to the application. Do I have any system call / lib / command for
        >this? Or do we have an ioctl() for this ?

        >Thanks in advance.

        >Regards,
        >-Shashidhar.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Pradeep S
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 8:00 PM
          hi,

          There is a /proc filesystem that has all the details
          u look in to it.

          there is a tool called glibtop that gets you the
          system details. look in to it. it is an rpm which
          u'll have to install it comes in the linux cd but will
          not be default in selection. u'll have 2 manually
          select it and install.

          hope this will feed u r needs

          regards
          Pradeep

          --- shashimc2002 <shashimc2002@...> wrote:
          > Hello everybody,
          >
          > I am trying to estimate the time taken by the system
          > to process
          > packets at different stages. I am basically trying
          > to find out where
          > the bottleneck is, in some 386 and 486 machines,
          > while processing
          > packets.
          >
          > Can you please let me know how I could go about
          > finding out the time
          > spent in processing the packet at different stages:
          > from the moment
          > it is received by the Ethernet card to the time when
          > it is delivered
          > to the application. Do I have any system call / lib
          > / command for
          > this? Or do we have an ioctl() for this ?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Regards,
          > -Shashidhar.

          =====