Re: [blug-prog] gtk installed, but cannot compile programs!!

  • nagaraja
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi

      The quotes should be one below the ~ character not the single quotes(')

      Nags

      simithn wrote:

      > hi mailing-list,
      >
      > i'am working on a voip project on linux and would
      > like to create a gui using gtk. I have version no. gtk+-1.2.0 and
      > glib-1.2.0.
      > After following all the procedures for installation
      >
      > I got the error when compiling my first program base.c as:
      >
      > $gcc base.c -o base 'gtk-config --cflags --libs'
      >

      > ERROR REPORTED :
      >
      > No such file or directory gtk-config.
      >
      > Plz throw some light on this error.
      >
      > Thanx in advance,
      > Simith.
      > MIT, Manipal

    • Mahendra M
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, simithn wrote:

        > $gcc base.c -o base 'gtk-config --cflags --libs'

        Use

        $ gcc base.c -o base `gtk-config --cflags --libs`

        Reason :

        Try executing
        $ gtk-config --cflags --libs

        You get something like this

        -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
        -I/usr/X11R6/include
        -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl
        -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm

        The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.

        When you use it as shown here with gcc, the output of `gtk-config . . . `
        is used as arguments to gcc.

        HTH

        Mahendra
      • Ganesan R
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
          > No such file or directory gtk-config.

          You need to install the gtk-devel and glib-devel packages.

          Ganesan
        • Ganesan R
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002

            > The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.

            Come on guys, _read_ the post before you respond. He said No such file or
            directory gtk-config. _Obviously_ he used back quotes.

            Ganesan
          • Pradyumna Sampath
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
              Hi
              --- simithn <simithn@...> wrote:

              > I got the error when compiling my first program
              > base.c as:
              >
              > $gcc base.c -o base 'gtk-config --cflags --libs'
              -> ^
              Nope this wont
              work try this ..
              #gcc base.c -o base `gtk-config --cflags --libs`

              prady

              =====
              Visit Me at http://www.geocities.com/pradysam/
              PS : Dont forget to sign the guest book ;-)

              http://greetings.yahoo.com/
            • Sharat Chandra
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                On Mon, Apr 01, 2002, Ganesan R wrote:

                > > The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.
                >
                > Come on guys, _read_ the post before you respond. He said No such file or
                > directory gtk-config. _Obviously_ he used back quotes.

                If he had used back quotes the error he would have got was:
                bash: gtk-config: command not found

                The "No such.. " error is produced by GCC:

                $ gcc -o test test.c 'gtk-config --cflags --libs'
                gcc-2.96: gtk-config --cflags --libs: No such file or directory

                The words "No such file or directory gtk-config" is
                produced neither by gcc, nor by the shell. He did not
                copy and paste the exact error message :( He typed in what
                he considered semantically equivalent.

                I am certain he did not use back quotes. Additionally,
                it is possible that he did not have the devel packages
                installed. In either case, we'll have to wait until
                *he* tells us which one it was...

                --
                Sharat Chandra | Consultant, PicoPeta Simputers
                symonds.net/~sharath/ | sharat @ picopeta . com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
                  hi,

                  > > The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.
                  >
                  > Come on guys, _read_ the post before you respond. He said No such file or
                  > directory gtk-config. _Obviously_ he used back quotes.

                  I think u are wrong. gcc gives no file or directory error if it
                  cannot read that file . if he had used back quotes gcc would never have
                  given that error. U can test it out by executing the command with both
                  quotes

                  -preetham

                  > Ganesan

                • Ganesan R
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002

                    >> > The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.
                    >>
                    >> Come on guys, _read_ the post before you respond. He said No such file or
                    >> directory gtk-config. _Obviously_ he used back quotes.

                    > If he had used back quotes the error he would have got was:
                    > bash: gtk-config: command not found

                    > The "No such.. " error is produced by GCC:

                    Oops. You're right. Sorry for jumping the gun.

                    Ganesan
                  • Ganesan R
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002

                      > hi,
                      >>
                      >> > The ` ` operator is used to execute a command.
                      >>
                      >> Come on guys, _read_ the post before you respond. He said No such file or
                      >> directory gtk-config. _Obviously_ he used back quotes.

                      > I think u are wrong. gcc gives no file or directory error if it
                      > cannot read that file . if he had used back quotes gcc would never have
                      > given that error. U can test it out by executing the command with both
                      > quotes

                      Yup, _I_ should read before I post :-).

                      Ganesan