Porting from VC++ to linux possible

  • manishchakravarty
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
      I have been learning VC++ since the last sem and I have now made
      quite a few apps using VC++ (Visual C++ 6.0).
      I have used MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) code in my programs.
      So I want to know how to port my application to linux.
      Porting to gcc/Make would be okay, but the lack of an IDE would make
      things difficult for a mere mortal like me....
      So can my code be ported to Glade (A really sexy IDE under GNOME) or
      even KDevelop 2.0 (Another cool IDE , which comes along with KDE
      2.0)?
      If the code cannot be ported, can anyone please guide me to the
      resouces (online or offline) for learning X Windows programming
      easily. ( I can already do a bit of Windows programming, so any
      material assuming basic knowledge about Windows/MFC would be really
      useful)
    • Sharat Chandra
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
        On Fri, Mar 08, 2002, manishchakravarty wrote:
        > I have been learning VC++ since the last sem and I have now made
        > quite a few apps using VC++ (Visual C++ 6.0).
        > I have used MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) code in my programs.
        > So I want to know how to port my application to linux.
        > Porting to gcc/Make would be okay, but the lack of an IDE would make
        > things difficult for a mere mortal like me....

        <humour>
        Get real. IDE's in Linux ? Vi/Emacs is more than sufficient ;)
        </humour>

        > So can my code be ported to Glade (A really sexy IDE under GNOME) or
        > even KDevelop 2.0 (Another cool IDE , which comes along with KDE
        > 2.0)?

        Glade isn't an IDE. It is an "interface designer" and an excellent
        one at that. There are efforts to unify Glade and GIDE...
        You can't port MFC based code to "Glade" - Glade is not a platform.

        > If the code cannot be ported, can anyone please guide me to the
        > resouces (online or offline) for learning X Windows programming
        > easily. ( I can already do a bit of Windows programming, so any
        > material assuming basic knowledge about Windows/MFC would be really
        > useful)

        If you want something like MFC, try Wx http://wxwindows.org/
        You should also try your hand at GTK and Qt and then decide
        which one you are most comfortable with.

        --
        Sharat Chandra | Consultant, PicoPeta Simputers
        symonds.net/~sharath/ | sharat @ picopeta . com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
          On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, manishchakravarty wrote:

          > I have used MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) code in my programs.
          > So I want to know how to port my application to linux.

          You can't use MFC stuff in linux.

          > So can my code be ported to Glade (A really sexy IDE under GNOME) or
          > even KDevelop 2.0 (Another cool IDE , which comes along with KDE
          > 2.0)?
          Glade is *not* an IDE, It is a GUI software to design a GUI.

          > resouces (online or offline) for learning X Windows programming
          > easily. ( I can already do a bit of Windows programming, so any

          X windows programming is sorta tough and certainly tedious. I
          Suggest you use gtk+. Check out www.gtk.org for tutorials and the
          library itself. A word of caution: www.gtk.org now houses a
          tutorial for version 2.0, which is not out yet. Instead settle
          for 1.2.X (unless you enjoy cutting edge stuff).

          --

          regards,
          Pallav.

          Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit.
          | |
          |Pallav Nawani |
          |Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd. |
          |Domlur, Bangalore. |
          |Personal Web Page: http://members.dencity.com/pallavnawani |
          |_______________________________________________________________|
        • Pallav Nawani
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
            On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, manishchakravarty wrote:

            OH! I forgot.. there is, in fact a nice IDE available for linux-
            Anjuta.
            http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/

            --

            regards,
            Pallav.

            Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit.
            | |
            |Pallav Nawani |
            |Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd. |
            |Domlur, Bangalore. |
            |Personal Web Page: http://members.dencity.com/pallavnawani |
            |_______________________________________________________________|
          • Kingsly John
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
              On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, manishchakravarty wrote:

              |I have been learning VC++ since the last sem and I have now made
              |quite a few apps using VC++ (Visual C++ 6.0).
              |I have used MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) code in my programs.
              |So I want to know how to port my application to linux.

              If you just want to port an app from windows to linux and leave it at that
              ... take a look at wine www.winehq.com .. you *might* be able to compile
              your code without any changes! and have it running under linux. (But if
              your program uses msvcp60.dll (hope i got the name right) then you are out
              of luck because that that hasn't been implemented in wine as yet.

              |Porting to gcc/Make would be okay, but the lack of an IDE would make
              |things difficult for a mere mortal like me....

              Aren't IDE's for less than mere mortals?? ;-)

              |So can my code be ported to Glade (A really sexy IDE under GNOME) or

              Glade has nothing to do with gnome ... Anjuta would be a Gnome-IDE.

              |even KDevelop 2.0 (Another cool IDE , which comes along with KDE
              |2.0)?

              Instead of developing your app for a particular environment I'd suggest
              you to stick to either gtk or qt and allow the app to run in any
              environment.. would help you reach a larger userbase.

              Kingsly
            • Biju Chacko
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
                On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 08:17, manishchakravarty wrote:
                > I have been learning VC++ since the last sem and I have now made
                > quite a few apps using VC++ (Visual C++ 6.0).
                > I have used MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) code in my programs.
                > So I want to know how to port my application to linux.
                > Porting to gcc/Make would be okay, but the lack of an IDE would make
                > things difficult for a mere mortal like me....
                > So can my code be ported to Glade (A really sexy IDE under GNOME) or
                > even KDevelop 2.0 (Another cool IDE , which comes along with KDE
                > 2.0)?
                > If the code cannot be ported, can anyone please guide me to the
                > resouces (online or offline) for learning X Windows programming
                > easily. ( I can already do a bit of Windows programming, so any
                > material assuming basic knowledge about Windows/MFC would be really
                > useful)

                Please don't take what I am about to say too personally. You seem to
                represent a thriumph of marketing. They have sold you the concept that
                the tool you use is more important than the platform you are coding for.

                Tell me: did you know that it is possible to write MFC code without
                using visual studio? It's definitely more tedious, but it's possible.
                Focus on what you want to achieve -- not on what you use to achieve it.

                I would suggest that you research various toolkits: QT, GTK and
                wxWindows would be the obvious ones (there are others). Choose whichever
                one you are most comfortable with.

                I'd suggest that you stay away from IDEs until you understand _exactly_
                what they do for you. You should not automate unless you understand what
                you are automating.

                -- Biju

                Biju Chacko | biju@... (work)
                Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@... (play)
                Bangalore, India | http://www.exocore.com
                How wonderful opera would be if there were no singers.
              • Kenneth Gonsalves
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
                  incidently, the best ide i have seen is Xwindows. you can edit your code, run
                  your programs, trace, step through, debug, cut and paste from other code and
                  do all sorts of other things at the speed of light and all at the same time -
                  and each part is independant of the rest. windoze does not have this ability,
                  so they have to make do with ide's
                  kg