Monthly Theme for BLUG

  • Mahendra M
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hi,

      Warning : This is a BLUG announcement. Please send replies to this mail
      only to the NON-TECH list.

      In view of the upcoming conference ( /expo ?? ), Linux Bangalore/2002,
      a decision was taken at the Feb BLUG meet, to have a theme for every
      month.

      The theme for March is "Clustering".

      What would be ideal for the March BLUG meet is :
      * A talk on clustering concepts. ( 15-20 min )
      * A demo of a cluster ( 45 min )
      * A short Q 'n' A session on Clustering software and hardware requirements
      ( 15 min )
      * A talk on Mosix File System or PVFS ( maybe both 15-20 minutes each ),
      if possible with a demo.

      There were also suggestions to have a demo/comparison of a SMP box and
      a cluster. This is also under consideration.

      Now, look at the number of talks. ( 1.5 - 2 hrs time ). We are looking for
      speakers on all the above topics. We also need machines for the demo.
      ( For clustering, you need more than one machine!! ). The best would be,
      if we can show different types of clusters ( Mosix, Beowulf etc ). We can
      set up demos at the meet venue.

      The theme has already been announced at the BLUG website.
      http://linux-bangalore.org/meetings/

      We need speakers, machines, a FEW volunteers and LOTS of ideas. If you can
      give us any of these, please do so ASAP.

      If we can put up a good show, we can even think of inviting guests and
      reporters over for the meet. ( maybe even get the meet sponsored ).
      This will give us good publicity for LB/2002.

      Whatever talks happen under these themes will be polished, improved and
      spiced up for Linux Bangalore/2002. Remember this time around, LB/2002
      cannot happen without your help.

      Another thing we need is - "More Themes" for the coming months. I am
      also very GLAD to see that BLUG members have started volunteering for
      giving talks at the BLUG meets. At this point of time, the talks don't
      fall into a specific category or theme. If we can have a fixed idea on
      the themes, it will orient the volunteers to prepare their talks in
      accordance with the themes. So, if you have any specific theme in your
      mind, please put them on the list.

      A few themes suggested at the Feb 2002 meet are :
      "Corporate Linux", "Linux on the Desktop".

      Mahendra