File - welcome.txt

  • linux-bangalore-non-tech@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 85 , Feb 1, 2009
      Thank you for subscribing to the linux-bangalore-non-tech mailing list. This
      message is to give you some information about this list and other lists we
      maintain, and some basic list rules.

      This message is also sent out once a month to all subscribers

      This list caters to *NON-technical* discussions about Linux and the
      Bangalore linux User Group. Technical discussions are *not* encouraged here.
      Traffic on this list is usually not very high, but can potentially rise just
      before or after any events or activities we participate in.

      Please note that in order to prevent spamming and unruly behaviour, this list
      will moderate the *first* post of a *new* member. The moderation will be
      removed after the new member has shown himself/herself to be genuine, and
      not a spammer or disruptive influence.

      If you ever wish to unsubscribe from this list, send a blank message to

      OTHER LISTS
      -----------

      If you wish to participate in discussions but are not interested in
      non-technical stuff, then we have several other lists to choose from.
      Visit http://linux-bangalore.org for more information about these lists.

      LIST RULES
      ----------
      Most mailing lists have a set of guidelines for how you should post messages to the list, and the BLUG's mailing lists follow these general rules of ettiquette. Here's a short list of do's and don'ts for posting to the various BLUG mailing lists.

      Top-posts
      This is the most common list newbie mistake!

      Do not "top-post" (reply to a message by adding text to the top of the message instead of below), as it loses the reader and the flow of the message and can annoy other readers.

      Example of an illegal top-post:

      I think you should be swapping the arguments around in the
      function, instead of the way you are doing it.

      On Friday, the 13th, you said:

      > I am using the function xyz(), giving arguments arg1 and arg2,
      > but it does not work. Anyone know why?

      Example of a correct bottom post:

      On Friday, the 13th, you said:

      > I am using the function xyz(), giving arguments arg1 and arg2,
      > but it does not work. Anyone know why?

      I think you should be swapping the arguments around in the
      function, instead of the way you are doing it.

      Overquoting
      This is the second most common list newbie mistake!

      If you are replying to another message, quote only the portions of that message that you are specifically responding to, and insert your comments after those quotes. Do not simply quote back the entire message! Trim off everything apart from the 2-3 most relevant lines of the original message.

      In general, your reply should contain at least as much text as the amount of text you are quoting, if not more. Never quote back dozens of lines of text and simply add a single line of text to the bottom - people will *hate* you for that!
      HTML Messages
      HTML is not email, and email doesn't contain HTML, so please turn HTML formatting OFF in your email client. Do not use italics, colors, bold, fonts, pictures, sounds, or other HTML elements. Providing HREF (link) elements is allowed. Please use only 7-bit text when sending email to the lists.

      Attachments
      Attachments of any sort are not allowed and will be stripped out automatically.

      Off-topic
      Stay on-topic for the list. This isn't a good place to discuss automobiles, politics, music, or anything that is not related to Linux. Sometimes topics will diverge from the general discussion, but please try to keep it relevant to the list topic. Do not ask programming questions in the technical (installation and admin) list, or technical questions in the non-technical list, or installation questions in the programming list, etc.

      Message recycling
      Do not start a New message or thread by hitting "Reply" in your mail client and changing the subject. When you do this, you mess up other participant's ability to read mail in a threaded fashion. When you mean to post a new message, use New, and when you want to reply to an existing message, hit Reply.

      Message time and date
      Please make sure the date and time on your computer is always current. When your date is set to something such as the year 2006, messages posted by you will get sorted based on that date, which may put them outside of the related month or year they belong in.

      Most of all, enjoy yourself on the list, and read messages from other users. In them, you may find ideas, solutions to problems, or other information that may be useful to you.
    • linux-bangalore-non-tech@yahoogroups.com
      Message 85 of 85 , Jul 1, 2011