flosspols survey

  • B. L. Krieger
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Dear all,

      In the context of the flosspols project we have set up a survey that tries
      to find out more about learning processes as well as the role/situation of
      women in the floss community (see announcement below).

      It would be great if you could help us by answering the survey. Also please
      forward the announcement to people you know who participate in the
      community.

      http://flosspols.org/survey/survey_part.php?groupid=lb

      Thank you for your support.

      Bernhard

      Dear FLOSS (Free / Libre / Open Source Software) participant:

      In 2002, MERIT/Infonomics at the University of Maastricht, the Netherlands,
      carried out the FLOSS developer survey supported by the European Union.
      This was the first survey that provided deep insights in the international
      FLOSS community, its beliefs, and its functioning. Although this study has
      been pathbreaking for many research activities in the following years, some
      very important questions regarding this phenomenon remained unanswered so
      far.

      The original FLOSS survey sponsored by the European Union, and follow up
      FLOSS-US (Stanford) and FLOSS-Japan/FLOSS-Asia (Mitsubishi Research) showed
      that "Learning new skills" was the most common reason provided by
      developers for their community participation. Another significant finding
      of surveys is that there are far fewer women in FLOSS development than in
      software development as a whole. In this survey, once again supported by
      the European Union, we would like to find out, first, how learning is
      organised and perceived within the FLOSS community and, second, to
      understand better the role of women within the community.

      For this purpose we rely heavily on your support, because you and your
      colleagues are the only ones who have the experience and expertise to help
      us revealing a realistic and appropriate picture of the community.
      Therefore we would like to ask you to fill in the survey. The more FLOSS
      developers respond, the better and more accurate the survey results.

      FLOSSPOLS is a scientific project that is financed by the European
      Commission. It serves exclusively purposes in the public interest,
      especially the provision of support for European policies towards Open
      Source and Free Software. The information you provide will be kept strictly
      confidential, and nobody outside the FLOSSPOLS research team will have
      access to personalised data. Moreover, all results we publish will ensure
      that the identification of persons who have replied to the questionnaires
      will be impossible.

      If you are younger than 18 years, we would like to draw attention to the
      fact that surveying of underage persons is a sensitive ethical issue in the
      EU framework. However, we acknowledge that many members of the FLOSS
      community are quite young. If you are underage, we would like to recommend
      that you carefully consider the purpose of our survey, as stated in this
      email, before filling it out.

      If you have further questions or comments on this topic do not hesitate to
      contact us (email: dev_survey@...).

      Thank you for your support.

      The FLOSSPOLS Research Team
    • Kenneth Gonsalves
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        On Friday 01 Apr 2005 3:27 pm, B. L. Krieger wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > In the context of the flosspols project we have set up a survey
        > that tries to find out more about learning processes as well as the
        > role/situation of women in the floss community (see announcement
        > below).
        >
        > It would be great if you could help us by answering the survey.
        > Also please forward the announcement to people you know who
        > participate in the community.
        >
        > http://flosspols.org/survey/survey_part.php?groupid=lb

        sorry, i tried to answer the survey, but its tooo long
        --
        regards
        kg

        http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
        tally ho! http://avsap.sourceforge.net
        ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
      • B. L. Krieger
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

          > sorry, i tried to answer the survey, but its tooo long

          Come on, Kenneth. It's for the benefit of science ;)

          Thanks,
          Bernhard
        • Kenneth Gonsalves
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
            On Friday 01 Apr 2005 3:52 pm, B. L. Krieger wrote:
            > On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
            > > sorry, i tried to answer the survey, but its tooo long
            >
            > Come on, Kenneth. It's for the benefit of science ;)

            you have to plan it better - i think i am more patient than most
            people, and if *I* gave up half way through i dont think many are
            going to complete it.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

              > you have to plan it better - i think i am more patient than most
              > people, and if *I* gave up half way through i dont think many are
              > going to complete it.

              About 10% stop before finishing it off. The last questions are far faster
              to answer than the first half.
            • Akash
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                On 01 Apr 2005 12:26:40 +0100, B. L. Krieger <blk20@...> wrote:

                > On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
                >
                > > you have to plan it better - i think i am more patient than most
                > > people, and if *I* gave up half way through i dont think many are
                > > going to complete it.

                I just completed it. Took me 9m 36s to complete.

                Akash
                --
                upcoming.org is a social event calendar.
                Post events happening in Bangalore there.
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                  On Friday 01 Apr 2005 4:56 pm, B. L. Krieger wrote:
                  > On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
                  > > you have to plan it better - i think i am more patient than most
                  > > people, and if *I* gave up half way through i dont think many are
                  > > going to complete it.
                  >
                  > About 10% stop before finishing it off. The last questions are far
                  > faster to answer than the first half.

                  the most painful are the drop down lists. If you replace them with
                  radio buttons it would be much easier

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                    On Friday 01 Apr 2005 5:13 pm, Akash wrote:
                    > On 01 Apr 2005 12:26:40 +0100, B. L. Krieger <blk20@...>
                    wrote:
                    > > On Apr 1 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
                    > > > you have to plan it better - i think i am more patient than
                    > > > most people, and if *I* gave up half way through i dont think
                    > > > many are going to complete it.
                    >
                    > I just completed it. Took me 9m 36s to complete.

                    good, i'll try again