Minutes of the BoF on Saturday, 5th March 2005

  • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      Hi,

      Those of you who missed the BoF session on Saturday, 5th March 2005, don't
      know what they missed. Blessed are those who attended the BoF. This was
      the best BoF session in months. So here is what we all did:

      Attendees: Vishnu (from Satyam), Ashish (still studying), Moinak (from
      Sun), Abhishek (from Novell), Gopal (from Yahoo), Ashutosh (from Adaptec),
      Bernhard (writing his thesis) and Surjo (from SAIC). Vishnu and Ashutosh
      were the first-timers at the BoF.

      We met at Woodys at 4:40 pm. We checked out the simputer which Gopal was
      carrying and how he tweaked it to perform better. It's a pretty neat device
      and the work Gopal did with it. Moinak brought the Open Solaris CDs. I
      picked them up. Abhishek wanted to try this at his home as well which is
      just behind Woodys. So we decided to go to Abhishek's house after the BoF.
      Some pictures were taken by Ashish and Ashutosh with me doing the usual jig
      :) Once the pictures arrive, we can try posting it on Bernhard's website.

      Discussions ranged from programming langues, dotGNU, CVS, subVersion, etc.
      At about 7 pm, we left Woodys and went to Abhishek's house to check out
      Mordor (the hostname of his PC). I will bring my USB Hard Disk next time to
      copy some neat stuff Abhishek has on Mordor :)

      So we took a backup of the Gentoo partition on Mandrake and unfortunately
      had to wipe out Gentoo to install Open Solaris. Lots of stuff have changed
      since Solaris 8. New things included are Java Desktop System (sucks !) and
      KDE (rocks !). Gopal, Bernhard and Ashutosh started tinkering around with
      Bernhard's laptop. In the process, Bernhard got his USB port and sound card
      to work perfectly on Gentoo. Thanks to Gopal. Once we finished playing
      around with Open Solaris and Bernhard's laptop, it was 10 pm and we were
      feeling hungry. So Moinak headed home. Abhishek, Bernhard and myself went
      back to Woodys for some dinner and we split from there at 11 pm.

      All-in-all, it was the longest BoF that we have had so far and the best one
      at that.

      So see you all the next BoF and until then, Happy Tuxing !!!

      Cheers,

      Surjo.