Hooray for Firefox !!! I have done it !

  • Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2005
      Hi BLUGgers !

      Read the extract of the mail sent by my Manager to my entire office staff:

      1. To protect pop-up ad windows and spyware from getting installed, use the
      mozilla firefox browser as a default browser keeping IE by the side.

      2. Contact Surjo or myself for installing the firefox browser or for any
      other issues

      Cheers,

      Surjo.
    • The BATFAN
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2005
        On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:33:59 -0500, Das, Surjo [OS-IE]
        <surjo.das@...> wrote:
        > Hi BLUGgers !
        >
        > Read the extract of the mail sent by my Manager to my entire office staff:
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Surjo.

        Congratulations. I am trying to pull up something similar here with
        OpenOffice.org and Firefox.

        --
        Smile, and in the broken pieces of your dreams you will find the
        essence of God's will.

        Ankit Malhotra
        ( The BATFAN )
        Blog: http://XFM.BlogSpot.com
        Registered Linux User # 349208 ( http://Counter.Li.org )
        Final Year, B. Tech. CSE, ( http://www.VIT.ac.in )
        GSM : +91-9894184718
      • Laxminarayan Kamath
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2005
          The Open CD, and Knoppix cd is my Mantra in trying to bring cyber
          cafes to the world of Open Source.. But I cannot do it alone.
          I once made a cyber in Andhra Pradesh accept Mozilla firefox at a
          least expected moment.. I mean i hadnt planned for it. One day the guy
          (whom i dint know at all) IMd me asking how he can avoid spyware and
          popupss, viruses.. May be he was expecting a long list of spyware
          removal software, antivirus, popup blocker and hell lotof steps.. I
          just completed the whole thing using just three words"Use Mozilla
          firefox". He was *astonished*, *taken aback*. Just Im on yahoo to id
          "damuknl" (name Damodar). Please ask him the same question and see his
          answer! ;-)
          Once i had told about that to him, he has always been thanking me many
          times when i come online. He says except for certain banking sites
          like icicidirect.com and other such sites, he doesnt have problem at
          all. The popup blocking was liked by him very much.
          :-)
          And there is another cyber in Howrah, bengal, which is Using Fedora
          Core 3 and people , after slight initial hiccups, have liked it. for
          more details IM "firewall_h".. *He is not the owner or anything. Buthe
          has info*
          -LK

          --
          Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
          MithraKoota, Bhoja Rao Lane,
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2005
            Sometime on Feb 12, Laxminarayan Kamath assembled some asciibets to say:

            > times when i come online. He says except for certain banking sites
            > like icicidirect.com and other such sites, he doesnt have problem at

            Can everyone who has any interest in icicidirect.com please mail their
            customer support asking them to support non-IE browsers. If possible,
            also give them some specific portions of their page that does not work
            along with the actual HTML that is faulty and suggest a fix.

            I tried twice to convince them that their redirect page for Netscape
            doesn't exist, but they didn't accept it, so finally I changed the topic
            and pasted HTML from their site in a mail along with why that was
            incorrect and how to fix it.

            Make sure to tell them that you cannot do business with them until their
            website is fixed. You may also want to cite icicibank.com as an example
            of a site that works very well with non-IE browsers.

            If we can get enough people to mail them with problems, maybe they'll
            listen.

            Note, that they'll offer to send someone to your place to help you
            register. Tell them that they can send someone to your place to help
            you register via the computer.

            Philip

            --
            "If I do not want others to quote me, I do not speak."
            -- Phil Wayne
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2005
              On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:09:49 +0530 (IST), Philip Tellis
              <philip.tellis@...> wrote:
              > Sometime on Feb 12, Laxminarayan Kamath assembled some asciibets to say:

              > Can everyone who has any interest in icicidirect.com please mail their
              > customer support asking them to support non-IE browsers. If possible,

              = I have done that too!
              check this forwarded conversation

              ===== reply ====

              ====My reply ====
              > Kindly note that we use Secured Socket Layer (SSL) technology with 128-bit
              > encryption to encrypt the messages exchanged during a session with us.
              > Hence to avoid connectivity issues, while accessing the
              > http://www.icicidirect.com site we request you to adjust your settings
              > according to the requirements.

              =Yeah I will try that. its difficult you know, i am n a cyber.. :-(
              =But according to the web browser settings, ssl version 1.0, 2.0 and
              3.0 are already enabled.. But may I know how it can relate to the
              links not behaving as they should???

              > Since it has been observed that accessing our site through MTNL lines gives
              > you an easy access to it. Hence we request you to have your Internet
              > Explorer version 5.5 or above reinstalled with a MTNL or VSNL as your ISP
              > and a dial up connection.
              (Thats even more difficult as i am in cyber :-( )
              =If you did not know about it, using Internet explorer ,(any version)
              is very insecure..Mozilla FireFox is much safer. You can just google
              about it and you will get thousands of reason why. If Microsoft claims
              otherwise, it is only for marketing reasons. In fact, once you DO the
              necassary changes, i believe you can recommend people to use Mozilla
              Firefox . You may follow these links for instance:
              http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2004-09-08-zombieinfect_x.htm
              http://www.forbes.com/2004/09/29/cx_ah_0929tentech.html?partner=tentech_newsletter

              In fact, as far as i can say, Using Microsoft Windows itself a major
              security headache. Nowadays in the age of quality Free and Open Source
              software knocking at your door, like the Fedora Core 3 Linux ,
              Mandrake 10, etc, I feel it is foolish to still use the
              costly/Pirated/low quality Microsoft Windows. I feel, you can do a
              complete switch to Linux (and other Free and Open Source Software) for
              all your tasks, as well as recommend them to your costomers for all
              transactional purposes.
              Open Source software has been accepted by our beloved Indian
              president Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam as one of the keys to achieve his dream
              "RamaRajya"!!!
              Well, It does not stop at using Free and Open Source Software.
              Striving to *explore* and maintain worldwide accepted standards in
              ecommerce might look heavy in the beginning , but always gives good
              results. I wish the best for your company. - and remember , never
              underestimate or overestimate OpenSource.. be practical in your
              approach.

              =====her reply ===== [I did a mistake by writing too much abt open source :-( ]
              Dear Mr. Kamath,

              Thank you for writing to us.

              We request you to specify the exact nature of your query or the exact
              problem faced by you pertaining to your ICICI Direct Account so that
              we could sort out the matter at the earliest.
              Should you need any further clarifications, please write back to us.
              We would be glad to assist you.

              Regards,
              Poornima Koteshwar
              Customer Service Officer
              ==== so this time my reply =====
              [ Please redirect this mail to whowever concerned , or at least give
              me their email address, so as to not bother you ;-) ]
              Hi,
              I had sent a mail earlier asking you to change your html code to
              support *All* browsers. Especially the Mozilla Firefox. It seems the
              urgency has just increased as many companies are making it mandatory
              and many others advising the empoyees to use Mozilla Firefox for
              privacy and security concersns. By not supporting Netscape/Mozilla
              Firefox, you will not be able to make business with them. At least not
              easily. You may even lose business if you dont! who knows?

              --
              Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
              (+91) 9845 061385
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 13, 2005
                > Can everyone who has any interest in icicidirect.com please mail their
                > customer support asking them to support non-IE browsers.

                I have similar problems with www.hsbc.co.in
                The irony of the situation is:

                IE Firefox
                Windows Doesn't work Works!
                Linux NA Doesn't work

                Despite repeated messages, they haven't done anything.

                =====
                Swaroop C H
                Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info
                Book: http://www.byteofpython.info
              • Tanveer Singh
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 13, 2005
                  Swaroop C H wrote:

                  >> Can everyone who has any interest in icicidirect.com please mail their
                  >> customer support asking them to support non-IE browsers.
                  >>

                  >I have similar problems with www.hsbc.co.in

                  they have put code in javascript which is the culprit. Open the source
                  code. remove the line, and then use the edited html, works like a dream.
                  Now only if i could standardchartered to work!
                  Tanveer

                  --
                  Tanveer Singh
                  BSTC-VLSI, TII

                • kamathln
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 15, 2005
                    --- In linux-bangalore-non-tech@yahoogroups.com, Laxminarayan Kamath
                    <kamathln@g...> wrote:
                    > = I have done that too!
                    > check this forwarded conversation

                    ================Here is more follow up=================
                    <ICICI>
                    Dear Mr. Kamath,
                    Thank you for writing to us.
                    We also thank you for your esteemed suggestion given.
                    In our constant endeavor to provide good service we require constant
                    support and feedback from our customers. We have taken note of your
                    suggestions and have forwarded it to the technical team and will
                    definitely look into the matter if we can implement the changes.
                    We will keep you informed of the changes if any.
                    Hoping to receive your continued patronage.
                    Should you need any further clarifications, please write back to us.
                    We would be glad to assist you.
                    </ICICI>
                    ===============My reply================================
                    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:10:50 +0530, Helpdesk <helpdesk@...>
                    wrote a lot of this which included:
                    > We will keep you informed of the changes if any.
                    Thanx That will be very usefull
                    > Hoping to receive your continued patronage.
                    and here it is : To make things easier for the technical team just
                    forward this link to them,
                    it will be very usefull.
                    http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html
                    Dear Mr. Kamath,
                    Thank you for writing to us.
                    Please note that our website browser has been designed on Microsoft
                    Explorer 5.5 and above keeping in mind the number of customers using
                    the same.
                    However, we have forwarded your mail to the technical department for
                    them to do the needful.
                    We assure you that in case of any changes pertaining to the browser
                    settings of our site, we shall keep you intimated on the same.
                    Should you need any further clarifications, please write back to us.
                    We would be glad to assist you.
                    Regards,
                    Poornima Koteshwar
                    Customer Service Officer

                    Now there are two questions in my mind:
                    1 ) How should I Proceed? any ideas?
                    2 ) Is the ICICIdirect.com ad onthe front page of feb 15th Times of
                    India a direct response to my mails? It doesnt seem to be in the
                    beginning. Unless you take into consideration that they might be
                    completely in support for Microsoft. - Think- Microsoft comes to know
                    of the happenings, and plans the folowing strategy - Put up an ad of
                    the site in the newspaper. Those that check the website because they
                    saw it in newspaper are usually less tech savvy than the ones that
                    have already registered , and so will use IE . Thus increasing the IE
                    "page hits" of the websites that they will publish when requested to
                    changeover. Can what I am saying be real? I know M$ is a grandmaster
                    in this "chess" of business. dont underestimate them..

                    Any ways, here is a follow up i was writing parallelly :
                    ====================My reply=============================
                    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:10:14 +0530, Helpdesk
                    <helpdesk@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Mr. Kamath,
                    > Thank you for writing to us.

                    OH! Thank you for being patient in replying all my mails!

                    > Please note that our website browser has been designed on Microsoft
                    Explorer
                    > 5.5 and above keeping in mind the number of customers using the same.
                    > However, we have forwarded your mail to the technical department for
                    them to
                    > do the needful.

                    I am glad that you are following up on the issue.. Of course it would
                    have been more wise to follow proper standards in the first place
                    rather than basing on a particular product. Of course it might be more
                    famous today. But the market share of IE has gone down. Market
                    dynamics have become more and more turbulent in the ecommerce side.
                    But the frequency with which standards change, is much more lesser.
                    But is never too late..
                    I hope in the future,for all your technical solutions, especially the
                    e-commerce ones you will start following worldwide accepted standards
                    rather than basing on a product. This ensures less need of
                    maintainance and peace of mind to the technical team , thereby
                    increasing the efficiency.

                    > --
                    > Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
                    > (+91) 9845 061385
                    > kamathln@g...
                    > www.geocities.com/kamathln
                  • sikhivahan gundu
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                      <philip.tellis@...> wrote:

                      > Can everyone who has any interest in icicidirect.com please mail their
                      > customer support asking them to support non-IE browsers. If possible,
                      > also give them some specific portions of their page that does not work
                      > along with the actual HTML that is faulty and suggest a fix.

                      Their homepage is a nuisance that expects users to be
                      running Internet Explorer. Buttons won't work. There seem
                      to be no serious problems though after loggin in. (The URL
                      for login can be looked up in the html source.). I have been
                      using Mozilla/Firefox browsers successfully with icicdirect
                      for sometime now.

                      Sikhivahan
                    • Philip Tellis
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Sometime Today, sg cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                        > Their homepage is a nuisance that expects users to be running Internet
                        > Explorer. Buttons won't work. There seem to be no serious problems

                        The buttons don't work because their html looks like this:

                        <A href="..."><TD>.....</TD></A>

                        an anchor around a TD?

                        > though after loggin in. (The URL for login can be looked up in the

                        I can't log in because I don't have an account. I can't create an
                        account because when I try to do that it redirects me to a page made for
                        netscape, which unfortunately they forgot to make.

                        I'm not going to change my useragent string for 2 reasons.

                        1. A non tech user wouldn't do that
                        2. That would boost the usage figures for MS IE in their log files
                        giving further credence to their claim that all users of their site use
                        MS IE.

                        --
                        Due to lack of disk space, this fortune database has been discontinued.
                      • Mrinal Kalakrishnan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                          Hi,

                          sikhivahan gundu typed:
                          > Their homepage is a nuisance that expects users to be
                          > running Internet Explorer. Buttons won't work. There seem
                          > to be no serious problems though after loggin in. (The URL
                          > for login can be looked up in the html source.). I have been
                          > using Mozilla/Firefox browsers successfully with icicdirect
                          > for sometime now.

                          And their stock price lookup page is wide open and requires no
                          authentication:

                          http://getquote.icicidirect.com/trading/equity/trading_stock_quote.asp?Symbol=RELIND

                          I don't think it's supposed to be open - all the online stock quote
                          lookups have a 15 minute delay, but this one is realtime.

                          I've hacked up a Finance::Quote module to harvest data from this as
                          well, but I doubt the legality of it.

                          --
                          Mrinal Kalakrishnan || http://mrinal.net/ || PGP:B1E86F5B ||
                          <mail at mrinal.net> || JabberID: <mrinal at myjabber.net> ||
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                            On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:06:07 +0530 (IST), Philip Tellis
                            <philip.tellis@...> wrote:

                            > I'm not going to change my useragent string for 2 reasons.
                            >
                            > 1. A non tech user wouldn't do that
                            > 2. That would boost the usage figures for MS IE in their log files
                            > giving further credence to their claim that all users of their site use
                            > MS IE.

                            One good reason for changing the useragent can be to
                            trick windows viruses into believing that you're running
                            windows. And then when the .exe's and the .vbs'es
                            expectantly troop into your Linux box won't the smirk on
                            their faces mutate into confused cluelessness because
                            they can't find

                            \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

                            or

                            \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\WHATEVER?

                            Anybody tried that? Ought to be fun.

                            Sikhivahan
                          • Akash
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                              On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:24:02 +0530, sikhivahan gundu
                              <sikhivahan@...> wrote:
                              > One good reason for changing the useragent can be to
                              > trick windows viruses into believing that you're running
                              > windows. And then when the .exe's and the .vbs'es
                              > expectantly troop into your Linux box won't the smirk on
                              > their faces mutate into confused cluelessness because
                              > they can't find
                              >
                              > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
                              >
                              > or
                              >
                              > \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\WHATEVER?
                              >
                              > Anybody tried that? Ought to be fun.

                              I once executed a virus ( W32.novarg.a ) while using Wine. It actually
                              worked and copied itself to some folders. I thought it was full points
                              to the Wine project for providing such cool windows functionality :)

                              akash

                              --
                              sig on strike