Site updated

  • Atul Chitnis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
      All:

      I have modified the BLUG site (http://linux-bangalore.org) a wee bit to
      add a small news system.

      I considered using stuff like slashdot-style setups (phpnuke, slash, etc.)
      but they all just didn't do what I wanted, which was to allow us to easily
      post news and stuff. We definitely did not want discussions and comments
      on the site (would affect our mailing lists).

      So we sat down and wrote something ourselves. Needs tweaking, but is
      functional for now. Go have a look.

      Comments/suggestions/brickbats - right here in the non-tech mailing list,
      please.

      Atul

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi,

        Atul Chitnis typed:
        > I considered using stuff like slashdot-style setups (phpnuke, slash, etc.)
        > but they all just didn't do what I wanted, which was to allow us to easily
        > post news and stuff. We definitely did not want discussions and comments
        > on the site (would affect our mailing lists).

        Since comments and discussions are not being put on the site, maybe you
        should send each news item as it is being posted to the non-tech mailing
        list, so that it can be battled out on the list itself.

        Also - who gets to post news? Maybe we could have a form on the site to
        post news, which gets moderated by our beloved SG!

        Or maybe, we can just make the site a mirror of blug-announce, so all
        messages which are posted on that list get put on the site - the list is
        moderated anyway.

        Comments on these please..

        --
        Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@...> http://mrinal.dhs.org/
        Linux 2.4.3 || PGP:B1E86F5B || Mutt 1.3.18i (2001-05-01) || VIM 6.0t ALPHA
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
          On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Mrinal Kalakrishnan wrote:

          > Since comments and discussions are not being put on the site, maybe you
          > should send each news item as it is being posted to the non-tech mailing
          > list, so that it can be battled out on the list itself.

          Sounds like a doable plan. But it will break my 21-line record for that
          code! ;-)

          > Also - who gets to post news? Maybe we could have a form on the site to
          > post news, which gets moderated by our beloved SG!

          Well, the idea for news is basically supposed to be about the LUG - more
          for other people who visit the site than for ourselves, who already know
          what happened? ;-)

          Currently, the SG gets to post news/items, and he already has his hands
          full with other moderation at the BLUG *and* the LI lists. So I doubt that
          he'd be interested in any more! ;-)

          In general, let's use the lists to communicate with each other - the site
          is for communicating with others, as well as a resource repository.

          Of course, all that can change, so let's hear opinions.

          > Or maybe, we can just make the site a mirror of blug-announce, so all
          > messages which are posted on that list get put on the site - the list is
          > moderated anyway.

          Does that make sense? Announcements in blug-announce are for list/LUG
          members. The *only* announcements that would interest the outside world
          would be events and meetings announcements, which have a separate section
          on the site anyway. Besides, *all* list archives are available online
          (links on the Discussions page on the site).

          BTW Correction - the announce list is not moderated - it is not a
          discussion list, only a newsletter list.

          IAC, keep talking, everyone. Let's hear more.

          Atul

          Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
          Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
        • Madhu M. Kurup
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
            Atul Chitnis to the BLUG said:

            >Does that make sense? Announcements in blug-announce are for list/LUG
            >members. The *only* announcements that would interest the outside world
            >would be events and meetings announcements, which have a separate section
            >on the site anyway. Besides, *all* list archives are available online

            I'd actually agree with Mrinal on this one - perhaps an newsy version of the
            announce list is actually a good thing. What this interface (box ==> to SG)
            would do is that it would considerably simplify the process for someone who
            is external to the list to post / announce.

            Consider job postings for example. I think this is worth another
            thought.

            Cheerio,

            Madhu M Kurup /* Nemo Me Impune Lacessit */ madhumkurup @ yahoo . com
          • Atul Chitnis
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
              On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Madhu M. Kurup wrote:

              > I'd actually agree with Mrinal on this one - perhaps an newsy version of the
              > announce list is actually a good thing. What this interface (box ==> to SG)
              > would do is that it would considerably simplify the process for someone who
              > is external to the list to post / announce.

              (shudder)

              Have you considered the implications? There will be dozens of "news"
              postings *every day* by people advertising goods and stuff, completely
              unrelated to Linux.

              We have a feedback form on our company site - do you know how much spam we
              get every day by people pasting into that form?

              Biju would have to go full-time into moderation if we were to do this. And
              Biju *does* have a day-job (as do most people).

              And giving the ability to outsiders to post news items would completely
              defeat the purpose of using a 21-line PHP code thingy instead of something
              like phpnuke that allows comments and public posts.

              > Consider job postings for example. I think this is worth another
              > thought.

              Job postings are definitely a worthwhile thingy, but not in an unregulated
              fashion. Even if the stuff is moderated, it is far easier to handle it via
              a dedicated mailing list than the web! The two-step process ensures that
              at least *some* filtering takes place and only earnest guys post.

              Of course, I could be wrong, which is why we are discussing it here.