[ My Experince ] Internal MODEM surprise.

  • Vikrant Aivalli
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi,

      We all know that the support in the kernel for internal modems has been
      withdrawn. The Motorola SM56 guys had their share of trouble. Now,
      anyone lately tried the D-Link DFM-560IS+++ modem. It rocks seriously.
      The whole story in points is as below :

      1) I picked it up with INR 550.00. :))

      2) The Driver CD came with a folder dedicated to linux - complete with a
      i586.rpm, src.rpm & tar.gz. A never before experience.

      3) The rpm does more than the installation, it continues with the
      configuration. Ending with addition of linking /dev/hsf0 with /dev/modem.

      4) Actually, the modem was meant for my dad's machine and I was tempted
      to try the linux stuff on the CD. I realised my problem only when it
      began looking for the modem 'coz it was in my dad's machine ;) . So, I
      restarted after installing the modem in my machine. Opened kppp and
      changed my modem to /dev/modem. And lo ! life began. Everything perfect
      as I expected. Absolutely no speed difference as compared to my external
      modem.

      Guys go for it.

      Take care.

      That's all for now.

      yours,

      nerdy / vikky / vikrant aivalli

      PS : The modem is back in my dad's machine. :))
      Vikrant Aivalli e-mail: <aivalli at vsnl dot net> Tel:+91-80-3460278
      Web : http://personal.vsnl.com/aivalli
      Journal : http://livejournal.com/~aivalli
      Every cloud has a silver lining, except, a Mushroom Cloud ! ;-)