Meetings

  • Atul Chitnis
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1 2:18 AM
      All:

      This is in response to Mahendra's query about meeting attendance, etc.
      Here are my 0.02/48.95:

      1. The meetings have very good attendance only when the topic for the meet
      is clearly announced beforehand.

      2. However, the profile of people attending varies. Often, people
      attending do so for the first time.

      3. There have been various private complaints about the distance of the
      meeting place. Most people I have spoken to preferred it when we had
      our meets in city centre (Ashraya). While students are sensitive to
      cover charges (Ashraya used to be Rs.65/head), I must point out that
      most of the attendees are not students in any case.

      4. The single most common complaint (other than the distance factor) is
      the day. Professionals usually keep weekends for their own private
      stuff, and as correctly pointed out by someone earlier - Linux is no
      longer hobbbyist in nature, but mainstream. Spending a Saturday evening
      on what is essentially work oriented is not something people enjoy.

      5. I am not sure about this next point, but it also appears that many
      people working for software companies have issues with attending a meet
      at what they appear to perceive as their competitor's place. This may
      or may not be a real issue, however, FedTech is a well known and
      successful software company in a city full of software companies, so if
      I was a software company boss, I'd be uncomfortable with having my best
      people going for a meeting at my competitor's place ;-). I am bringing
      up this point only because it was specifically mentioned to me during
      the last meet. From my perspecctive, FedTech has been very good to us.

      6. Finally, some people just won't attend a meet. Period. This includes
      most of the people most active on the technical lists.

      I think the most relevant issues are the distance and the Saturdays.

      I would suggest moving the meeting place back into the city centre, even
      if it costs more per head. That would become necessary in any case - the
      FedTech rooftop is not usable for meets when it rains, and April showers
      have already staretd, with monsoon rains about 2 months away.

      I also suggest that we move the meeting day to a Friday, and not at 6pm
      but at 5pm. This way, people would have a legitimate reason to leave
      office a little early to attend the meet, and still get home more or less
      at the same time. And they would not have to sacrifice their precious
      Saturdays.

      Note - all this stuff is open for debate. Debate away. And someone give
      the isolationists over at blug-tech and prog a headsup as well ;-).

      Atul

      Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
      Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
    • Tanveer Singh
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1 2:38 AM
        On Monday 01 April 2002 15:48, Atul Chitnis wrote:

        > I think the most relevant issues are the distance and the Saturdays.
        >
        > I would suggest moving the meeting place back into the city centre, even
        > if it costs more per head. That would become necessary in any case - the
        > FedTech rooftop is not usable for meets when it rains, and April showers
        > have already staretd, with monsoon rains about 2 months away.
        >
        > I also suggest that we move the meeting day to a Friday, and not at 6pm
        > but at 5pm. This way, people would have a legitimate reason to leave
        > office a little early to attend the meet, and still get home more or less
        > at the same time. And they would not have to sacrifice their precious
        > Saturdays.
        >
        > Note - all this stuff is open for debate. Debate away. And someone give
        > the isolationists over at blug-tech and prog a headsup as well ;-).

        well distance is the main factor. keep friday 6 pm coz if you keep at 5, ppl
        will have to leave office at 4:00pm . so after six is better. btw I dont
        think it will matter is cost per head is slightly more. paying a few bucks
        extra once a month shouldnt matter... even to students!
        And if meeting could be arranged somewhere around infantry . cubbon area.. it
        would be good

        Tanveer
        --
        "A radioactive cat has eighteen half-lives."
      • sidcarter@symonds.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1 2:53 AM
          On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:48:23PM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:

          > I also suggest that we move the meeting day to a Friday, and not at 6pm
          > but at 5pm. This way, people would have a legitimate reason to leave
          > office a little early to attend the meet, and still get home more or less
          > at the same time. And they would not have to sacrifice their precious
          > Saturdays.

          Hi,
          Think what you may. but Friday's are Fridays ! I am desperately trying
          to close and finish my pending work to jump to some pub or some
          other place where I can enjoy. I am already tired and I want some
          change. And what makes you think I will come on a Friday Evening ?
          Well, just thinking loud on this :-D
          And ever seen the traffic on a Friday Evening starting from 4:30 PM?
          In my opinion, Friday is the worst choice.
          Of course, distance is obviously a factor. Ashraya was always good.
          We only opted out of it cause of finance and reservations. Right ?
          Regards
          Carter
          --
          Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
          when it is bad, it is better than nothing.

          Sid Carter Debian GNU/Linux.
        • Tanveer Singh
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1 2:56 AM
            On Monday 01 April 2002 16:23, sidcarter@... wrote:

            > Think what you may. but Friday's are Fridays ! I am desperately trying
            > to close and finish my pending work to jump to some pub or some
            > other place where I can enjoy. I am already tired and I want some
            > change. And what makes you think I will come on a Friday Evening ?
            > Well, just thinking loud on this :-D
            > And ever seen the traffic on a Friday Evening starting from 4:30 PM?
            > In my opinion, Friday is the worst choice.
            you are right
            fridays are for PUBS. Thats why i said infantry cubbon etc ;-)
            how about a sunday!

            Tanveer
            --
            Limericks are art forms complex,
            Their topics run chiefly to sex.
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1 3:25 AM
              On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 sidcarter@... wrote:

              > And what makes you think I will come on a Friday Evening ?

              I think you will come on a Friday early evening if your employer thinks
              that there is something to gain from that, and let's you go a little early
              on company time to learn stuff useful to the company.

              > And ever seen the traffic on a Friday Evening starting from 4:30 PM?

              Yes, it is slightly less than Saturday evening around 6:30pm.

              BTW - traffic won't matter if the meeting is more in city centre.

              > In my opinion, Friday is the worst choice.

              It was just a suggestion - any other day would also do, but Saturdays are
              probably noteveryone's favourites.

              > Of course, distance is obviously a factor. Ashraya was always good.
              > We only opted out of it cause of finance and reservations. Right ?

              We opted out because Ashraya refused to commit on giving us the hall
              every fourth Saturday. We have never had a problem with finances. Most
              people paid no problem, and those that didn't got their casts signed ;-).

              Another factor - many of the hotel-based meetings were sponsored. No
              company (other than FedTech) has come forward to sponsor meets since then.

              Atul

              Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
              Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
            • Mahendra M
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1 3:33 AM
                On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Tanveer Singh wrote:

                > how about a sunday!

                Sundays are a definite NO-NO. Lets not keep it on a Sunday.

                By Sunday morning, everyone would have lost his/her zeal for technology.
                ;-)

                Mahendra
              • Kingsly John
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 1 3:36 AM
                  On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Tanveer Singh wrote:

                  |you are right
                  |fridays are for PUBS. Thats why i said infantry cubbon etc ;-)
                  | how about a sunday!

                  On the 7th day *He* rested .... what makes you think *We* deserve any
                  less? ;-)

                  Kingsly
                • Tanveer Singh
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 1 3:51 AM
                    On Monday 01 April 2002 17:06, Kingsly John wrote:

                    > On the 7th day *He* rested .... what makes you think *We* deserve any
                    > less? ;-)
                    he rested after completed the world... we may rest after we complete the
                    mission of Linux Domination!!!

                    Tanveer
                    --
                    No good deed goes unpunished.
                    -- Clare Boothe Luce
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 1 3:55 AM
                      On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 04:55:53PM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                      > > And what makes you think I will come on a Friday Evening ?
                      >
                      > I think you will come on a Friday early evening if your employer thinks
                      > that there is something to gain from that, and let's you go a little early
                      > on company time to learn stuff useful to the company.

                      Hi,
                      People will (ab)use this chance to leave early on Friday's, frankly
                      speaking.

                      > > And ever seen the traffic on a Friday Evening starting from 4:30 PM?
                      >
                      > Yes, it is slightly less than Saturday evening around 6:30pm.
                      >
                      > BTW - traffic won't matter if the meeting is more in city centre.

                      Well, that can be relative. I was stuck one day in traffic around 4:30PM
                      at BTM Layout , for probably more than an hour. Had to watch LOTR then
                      :-)

                      > > In my opinion, Friday is the worst choice.
                      >
                      > It was just a suggestion - any other day would also do, but Saturdays are
                      > probably noteveryone's favourites.

                      Yeah, probably Wednesday...but I dunno why, I have a bad feeling about
                      that too. Or Sunday ?

                      > We opted out because Ashraya refused to commit on giving us the hall
                      > every fourth Saturday. We have never had a problem with finances. Most
                      > people paid no problem, and those that didn't got their casts signed ;-).

                      So, how about another which can commit ? *Phew* This sounds like
                      marriage. Eeks !! ;-)

                      > Another factor - many of the hotel-based meetings were sponsored. No
                      > company (other than FedTech) has come forward to sponsor meets since then.

                      Then, that also means that if we move to Ashraya, we need a sponsor ?

                      Thanks
                      Regards
                      Carter
                      --
                      optimist, n.:
                      A man who makes a motel reservation before a blind date.

                      Sid Carter Debian GNU/Linux.
                    • Kingsly John
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 1 4:16 AM
                        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Atul Chitnis wrote:

                        |3. There have been various private complaints about the distance of the
                        | meeting place. Most people I have spoken to preferred it when we had
                        | our meets in city centre (Ashraya). While students are sensitive to
                        | cover charges (Ashraya used to be Rs.65/head), I must point out that
                        | most of the attendees are not students in any case.

                        While I agree with the distance part... I kinda like the FedTech rooftop .
                        it has a certain informality to it... I had attended a few meets at
                        Ashraya .. and the place becomes really packed at around 50-60
                        participants... which makes it difficult for people to circulate around
                        ... while the last meet at FedTech was the largest one I've
                        attended(barring the X b'day meet).. the place was still not crowded!
                        (And hiring a place that can seat a hundred people and finding that only
                        30 people turn up.. will totally upset the financial aspect of the meet.)

                        |4. The single most common complaint (other than the distance factor) is
                        | the day. Professionals usually keep weekends for their own private
                        | stuff, and as correctly pointed out by someone earlier - Linux is no
                        | longer hobbbyist in nature, but mainstream. Spending a Saturday evening
                        | on what is essentially work oriented is not something people enjoy.

                        While I don't have any fixed working hours.. from what I have seen people
                        are almost dead on friday evenings .. and even if they manage to make it
                        out of their office by 5PM (leave alone making it to the meet!) .. they
                        would rather go relax than sit someplace and listen to people talk. Like
                        you pointed out it's slowly becoming work! ... so why would someone leave
                        work early on a Friday .. to spend time doing more work ??

                        The BLUG is still volunteer driven ... so we don't really have to bend
                        over too much for people who can't be bothered to spare a 2-3 hours a
                        month ... when there are people that are expending a LOT more effort
                        arranging talks and ensuring that the meet happens! And we are no longer
                        in that stage where we are telling people what linux is... most of the
                        talks are aimed at experienced users.

                        There was some talk about having a meet for newbies or a section for
                        newbies.. how about a 1 hour openhouse before each meet ... after all most
                        of their queries can mostly be answered by someone with a little more
                        experience than the person posing the Question!.. and that way LUG meet
                        can actually begin at 6PM!

                        |5. I am not sure about this next point, but it also appears that many
                        | people working for software companies have issues with attending a meet
                        | at what they appear to perceive as their competitor's place. This may
                        | or may not be a real issue, however, FedTech is a well known and
                        | successful software company in a city full of software companies, so if
                        | I was a software company boss, I'd be uncomfortable with having my best
                        | people going for a meeting at my competitor's place ;-). I am bringing
                        | up this point only because it was specifically mentioned to me during
                        | the last meet. From my perspecctive, FedTech has been very good to us.

                        If there are enough Software Companies that feel this way ... why don't
                        they contact the Co-Ordinator about it .. and they could form a group of
                        like minded companies that will *sponsor* a neutral venue for the meet ??
                        (will help us keep meeting costs closer to current levels too!)

                        (But lets say they choose to rent a hall at the Taj ... wouldn't the IT
                        department of the Oberoi not attend the meet ?? After all Linux is not
                        just about software companies!! ;-)

                        But personally this argument doesn't carry any weight .. because I haven't
                        met anyone from FedTech except for Hanish(and definitely not as a FedTech
                        employee!!) and I think I have attended all but one of the meets out
                        there... and IMO FedTech is closed on Saturdays.

                        |6. Finally, some people just won't attend a meet. Period. This includes
                        | most of the people most active on the technical lists.
                        |
                        |I think the most relevant issues are the distance and the Saturdays.
                        |
                        |I would suggest moving the meeting place back into the city centre, even
                        |if it costs more per head. That would become necessary in any case - the
                        |FedTech rooftop is not usable for meets when it rains, and April showers
                        |have already staretd, with monsoon rains about 2 months away.

                        Hmm this is a valid point ... your favorite April Showers drenched me in
                        March itself! :-( .. But I think we did have a meet at FedTech when it
                        Rained .. wasn't too much of a problem actually... and anyways if it's
                        going to be raining I guess attendance will be low anyways.. after all
                        chances of you getting soaked while coming to the Venue are higher than
                        you getting soaked at the Venue.(Unless you are planning to offer home
                        pick-up! ;-)

                        |I also suggest that we move the meeting day to a Friday, and not at
                        |6pm but at 5pm. This way, people would have a legitimate reason to
                        |leave office a little early to attend the meet, and still get home
                        |more or less at the same time.

                        Like *ALL* those students that attended LB/2001 !! ;-) Ppl would probably
                        land up at their fav. pub before 5PM and take advantage of happy hours
                        rather than attend the BLUG meet!

                        But if there are enough people that feel Friday is better and we *will*
                        have 80+ people attending every meet .. then maybe we should consider
                        it... otherwise it's not worth it.

                        |And they would not have to sacrifice their precious Saturdays.

                        Is this why the former SG has been missing from the past two meets ??

                        Kingsly
                      • Kingsly John
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 1 4:35 AM
                          On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Atul Chitnis wrote:

                          |On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 sidcarter@... wrote:
                          |
                          |> And what makes you think I will come on a Friday Evening ?
                          |
                          |I think you will come on a Friday early evening if your employer thinks
                          |that there is something to gain from that, and let's you go a little early
                          |on company time to learn stuff useful to the company.

                          Carter will probably make it to the BLUG meet even if it was on Monday 9AM
                          .. have seen him balance work, sleep and lb/2001.(alright there was no
                          sleep but he still managed to balance the other two! ;-)... but
                          re-scheduling the meet in the hope that someone new will come is not a
                          good thing unless we can have some kind of guarantee on the numbers.

                          Personally most people in Bangalore just don't have the time .. esp. those
                          in software companies ... I have lots of friends and classmates whom I've
                          not met more than 3-4 times in the past two years that I've been here ..
                          ppl talk on the phone ... respond to e-mails IMs etc.. but actually
                          getting them to come out for dinner/lunch is major pain... If people
                          looked up their address/phonebooks and checked the last time they met
                          someone they'll find a lot of people that match what I've said above. I
                          would attribute the low turnouts at BLUG meets to that more than anything
                          else.

                          Kingsly
                        • Mahendra M
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 1 6:08 AM
                            On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 sidcarter@... wrote:

                            > Then, that also means that if we move to Ashraya, we need a sponsor ?

                            Of course, we will need a sponsor. Or else the members have to share the
                            amount - Rs. 60-80 / head.

                            I will call up ashraya tomorrow and find the rates.

                            Mahendra
                          • Atul Chitnis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 1 9:06 AM
                              On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Mahendra M wrote:

                              > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 sidcarter@... wrote:
                              >

                              > > Then, that also means that if we move to Ashraya, we need a sponsor ?
                              >
                              > Of course, we will need a sponsor. Or else the members have to share the
                              > amount - Rs. 60-80 / head.

                              No, it does not mean we need a sponsor. It just means that instead of
                              Rs.25/head, it will be a bit more. Sponsors would be welcome, of course.

                              > I will call up ashraya tomorrow and find the rates.

                              I'd wait ans see what day of the week is convenient for people. i can tell
                              you offhand that Ahsraya is not available on Saturday evenings. IAC, talk
                              to Jessie - she could be helpful with this.

                              Atul

                              Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
                              Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
                            • Sridhar N
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 2 5:27 PM
                                Hi
                                Read below for my views.....

                                On Monday 01 April 2002 15:48, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                                > 1. The meetings have very good attendance only when the topic for the meet
                                > is clearly announced beforehand.

                                Presumably yes. But for me, personally, it just doesn't matter.

                                > 2. However, the profile of people attending varies. Often, people
                                > attending do so for the first time.

                                That's the interesting part. A lot of people are new and they don't come the
                                next time... we have got a lot of ex-LUGgers out there !

                                > 3. There have been various private complaints about the distance of the
                                > meeting place. Most people I have spoken to preferred it when we had
                                > our meets in city centre (Ashraya). While students are sensitive to
                                > cover charges (Ashraya used to be Rs.65/head), I must point out that
                                > most of the attendees are not students in any case.

                                Aside from the fact that i'm a student, the distance of meeting place IMO is
                                inconsequential. If somebody is really interested in attending the meet, they
                                will come. If somebody is trying to be 50-50 then, all these excuses.....

                                > 4. The single most common complaint (other than the distance factor) is
                                > the day. Professionals usually keep weekends for their own private
                                > stuff, and as correctly pointed out by someone earlier - Linux is no
                                > longer hobbbyist in nature, but mainstream. Spending a Saturday evening
                                > on what is essentially work oriented is not something people enjoy.

                                This is the toughest......Sunday - NO WAY.... Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,
                                Thursday .....No chance ( i'll be dead tired by the time i come home )
                                Friday.....tempting
                                Saturday evening ......COOL

                                > I would suggest moving the meeting place back into the city centre, even
                                > if it costs more per head. That would become necessary in any case - the
                                > FedTech rooftop is not usable for meets when it rains, and April showers
                                > have already staretd, with monsoon rains about 2 months away.

                                FedTech rooftop is really lovely, nice fresh air, and dizzying height. It
                                was nice when it rained sometime ago...though nobody could hear anything.
                                If u still want to move to the city centre, how about UVCE or some place
                                which should be -> Non-corporate, Inexpensive, nice food. i'd rather have the
                                current style of snacks anyday than Ashraya/Atria/.... kind of food

                                regards
                                Sridhar
                              • Mrinal Kalakrishnan
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 4 7:19 AM
                                  Hi,

                                  Atul Chitnis typed:
                                  > 4. The single most common complaint (other than the distance factor) is
                                  > the day. Professionals usually keep weekends for their own private
                                  > stuff, and as correctly pointed out by someone earlier - Linux is no
                                  > longer hobbbyist in nature, but mainstream. Spending a Saturday evening
                                  > on what is essentially work oriented is not something people enjoy.

                                  My two paisa: I'm all for shifting the day from Saturday to any other
                                  day (Friday and Sunday being the only two options), because Saturday's
                                  are just... filled up with too many other things! :-)

                                  --
                                  Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@...> http://mrinal.dhs.org/
                                  Linux 2.4.17-ll || PGP:B1E86F5B || JabberID: mrinal@...
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 4 9:00 AM
                                    I agree too. what the hell ever happened to saturday night fever ??

                                    ;)

                                    - kalyan

                                    On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mrinal Kalakrishnan wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > Atul Chitnis typed:
                                    > > 4. The single most common complaint (other than the distance factor) is
                                    > > the day. Professionals usually keep weekends for their own private
                                    > > stuff, and as correctly pointed out by someone earlier - Linux is no
                                    > > longer hobbbyist in nature, but mainstream. Spending a Saturday evening
                                    > > on what is essentially work oriented is not something people enjoy.
                                    >
                                    > My two paisa: I'm all for shifting the day from Saturday to any other
                                    > day (Friday and Sunday being the only two options), because Saturday's
                                    > are just... filled up with too many other things! :-)
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@...> http://mrinal.dhs.org/
                                    > Linux 2.4.17-ll || PGP:B1E86F5B || JabberID: mrinal@...
                                    > --

                                  • Kingsly John
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 4 11:10 AM
                                      On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Kalyan Varma wrote:

                                      |I agree too. what the hell ever happened to saturday night fever ??

                                      Isn't that what's been happening on the FedTec terrace every 4th saturday
                                      nite ?? :-)

                                      [ You wouldn't know since you haven't been there in ages!!! ;-) ]

                                      Kingsly
                                    • Pradyumna Sampath
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 4 9:52 PM
                                        Hi,

                                        --- Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@...> wrote:

                                        > My two paisa: I'm all for shifting the day from
                                        > Saturday to any other
                                        > day (Friday and Sunday being the only two options),
                                        > because Saturday's

                                        Mee too .. any week day.. but defnitely not sat and
                                        sunday..The venue seems fine.Its a 10 min drive from
                                        home so i dont mind that.. ;-)

                                        prady

                                        =====
                                        Visit Me at http://www.geocities.com/pradysam/
                                        PS : Dont forget to sign the guest book ;-)

                                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                      • Mahendra M
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 4 11:17 PM
                                          On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Pradyumna Sampath wrote:

                                          > The venue seems fine.Its a 10 min drive from home so i dont mind
                                          > that.. ;-)

                                          Maybe for you !!

                                          It is a 45 minute drive from my house. And to think of it, I am usually
                                          there at Fedtech by 4:30pm to get things ready and to attend LLI meetings.

                                          Mahendra
                                        • Mahendra M
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 4 11:18 PM
                                            On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mrinal Kalakrishnan wrote:

                                            > My two paisa: I'm all for shifting the day from Saturday to any other
                                            > day (Friday and Sunday being the only two options), because Saturday's
                                            > are just... filled up with too many other things! :-)

                                            Let us do one thing. Why not have this months meet on a Friday evening.
                                            Maybe we even go back to Ashraya.

                                            Mahendra