about processor

  • Step B
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      I would like to upgrade my PC(I use amdk6-500).

      Does anybody use AMD Athlon >1Gh processor, or
      is P4 out? Can I use 815E for p4?

      st.
    • Tanveer Singh
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Friday 01 March 2002 14:42, Step B wrote:
        > I would like to upgrade my PC(I use amdk6-500).
        >
        > Does anybody use AMD Athlon >1Gh processor, or
        > is P4 out? Can I use 815E for p4?
        Better use Athlon XP. for same price performance is much
        better.(www.tomshardware.com)
        840/850 can be used for P4 not 815. moreover, P4 is more useful only tih
        DDR SDRAM or RDRAM which are quite expensive.
        Stick to athalon.
        tanveer
        --
        I've read SEVEN MILLION books!!
      • Raghav.K
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          I have Atholon 1.1 at my dad's office and it rox,
          stick to Athlon its a far better processor that P4 and
          I don't suppose u can use an 815 MB......

          --- Step B <step1b@...> wrote:
          > I would like to upgrade my PC(I use amdk6-500).
          >
          > Does anybody use AMD Athlon >1Gh processor, or
          > is P4 out? Can I use 815E for p4?
          >
          > st.

          =====
          Purpose is everthing, purpose is all.
          -->Linux it does'nt just work, it performs<--

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Step B
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
            Quoting Raghav.K (raghav_spooky@...):
            > I have Atholon 1.1 at my dad's office and it rox,
            > stick to Athlon its a far better processor that P4 and

            A year and half back when I bought amd k6, I read
            that amd processors get hotter faster and need
            better coolants than the pentiums. my pc sometimes
            hangs all of a sudden(yeah even linux), but I
            dont nkow if its due to this reason.

            > I don't suppose u can use an 815 MB......

            Does this mean every processor upgrade these days
            should be accompanied by a MB upgrade too?

            st

            > --- Step B <step1b@...> wrote:
            > > I would like to upgrade my PC(I use amdk6-500).
            > >
            > > Does anybody use AMD Athlon >1Gh processor, or
            > > is P4 out? Can I use 815E for p4?
            > >
            > > st.
          • Pallav Nawani
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
              On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Step B wrote:
              > > I don't suppose u can use an 815 MB......
              >

              > Does this mean every processor upgrade these days
              > should be accompanied by a MB upgrade too?
              >
              > st

              In this case, 815 happens to be incompatible with any AMD
              processor. It works with Pentium III's. But the statement you
              made holds true unless the increase in processor speeds is
              minimal ( say, 1Ghz to 1.1Ghz).

              --

              regards,
              Pallav.

              Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this
              big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around --
              nobody big, I mean -- except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy
              cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go
              over the cliff -- I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're
              going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do
              all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye. I know it; I know it's crazy,
              but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy.
              -- J.D. Salinger, "Catcher in the Rye"
              | |
              |Pallav Nawani |
              |Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd. |
              |Domlur, Bangalore. |
              |Personal Web Page: http://members.dencity.com/pallavnawani |
              |_______________________________________________________________|
            • Step B
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                > processor. It works with Pentium III's. But the statement you
                > made holds true unless the increase in processor speeds is
                > minimal ( say, 1Ghz to 1.1Ghz).

                This is sad( and bad as well). and there isnt even an exchange programme from
                the hardware vendors :-(

                What do you guys do with your older processors? I cant even give
                it our college labs, as they are not as simple as 8080/z80.
              • Tanveer Singh
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                  On Monday 04 March 2002 10:05, Step B wrote:

                  > A year and half back when I bought amd k6, I read
                  > that amd processors get hotter faster and need
                  > better coolants than the pentiums. my pc sometimes
                  > hangs all of a sudden(yeah even linux), but I
                  > dont nkow if its due to this reason.
                  This problem dosent have to do with AMD. It is word of mouth that AMD heats
                  up and stuff. There is nothing wrong with AMD processors.
                  Most overheating cases are due to overclocking.
                  Tanveer
                  --
                  cursor address, n:
                  "Hello, cursor!"
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                    On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tanveer Singh wrote:

                    > This problem dosent have to do with AMD. It is word of mouth that AMD heats
                    > up and stuff. There is nothing wrong with AMD processors.
                    > Most overheating cases are due to overclocking.
                    > Tanveer

                    AMD processors do heat up. It does require a bigger heatsink
                    and a faster fan. But, if you do have those, overheating will not
                    occur. Even my motherboard manual states this!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                      > AMD processors do heat up. It does require a bigger heatsink
                      > and a faster fan. But, if you do have those, overheating will not
                      > occur. Even my motherboard manual states this!
                      you are right here, but if you use the right spec of heatsink and fan
                      recommended the processor works fine.
                      Many dealers(i dont know the reason why) put smaller spec heatsinks and
                      fans, maybe to save costs? or shortchange the buyer,
                      You goto any intel dealer or a dealer whos main business is intel, and you
                      will get big horror stories!
                      --
                      She asked me, "What's your sign?"
                      I blinked and answered "Neon,"
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 2002
                        In this Intel dominated part of the world, ppl
                        generally aren't ready to accept any new processor,
                        like Linux it will take time but ultimately they
                        should realise AMD is as comeptent as Intel. And NO
                        the processor is most defnitely not the cause for ur
                        machine to hang.

                        More over an AMD processor handles more number of
                        flops-floating point operations per second than the
                        Intel processors which in a nutshell means, all your
                        graphic applications like Games, CAD etc., run better
                        on an AMD. And the FSB of an processor is higher than
                        Intel's

                        Does this mean every processor upgrade these days
                        should be accompanied by a MB upgrade too?

                        Not necessarily it depends on the specs of the board,
                        chk with your vendor or refer the manual of your
                        mother board to find out what is the max you MB can
                        handle..if your new processor exceeds this then you'll
                        have to change the MB else this should do fine.

                        =====

                        http://sports.yahoo.com