Re: [linksleuthupdates] Debug version for Xenu endless-busy-bug

  • Tilman Hausherr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003
      On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:43:20 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

      >I have uploaded a debug version for the Xenu endless-busy-bug. It can be
      >found at
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linksleuthupdates/files/xenub.zip
      >
      >Here's how to use it:
      >The software writes into the file XENULOG.TXT in your TEMP directory
      >(e.g. \WINDOWS\TEMP, but may be different on NT, W2K and XP). You can
      >delete that file safely after work.
      >
      >If you experience the endless-busy-bug, send me that file after Xenu
      >ends (or after you have "killed" him), and mention what URL was left.
      >
      >What I am attempting to do is to see whether it really "hangs" within
      >WININET.DLL, or not.
      >
      >Do also mention to me (even if you told me already):
      >
      >- The Operating Systen you are using (W95, W98, WME, WNT, W2K, WXP)
      >- The version of IE you are using
      >- Whether you are using a proxy
      >- Whether you are using a personal firewall
      >- What connection you have (Dialup, DSL, Cable, Corporate LAN)
      >- How many threads you have set

      This version has been improved slightly. There is now a new Button on
      the toolbar: STOP. This works in a "stronger" way than the PAUSE button
      - try it and tell me about. It is not perfect - it won't stop threads
      where the system tries to find the IP address of the host. The STOP
      button only works after the PAUSE button has been pressed.

      What you can also do, is to set a smaller timeout value for Internet
      Explorer (of which WININET.DLL is a part of, whether you like it or
      not):

      1. Start the Registry Editor
      2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \
      CurrentVersion \ InternetSettings
      3. Select New > DWORD from the Edit menu
      4. Call it ReceiveTimeout with a data value of SECONDS*1000
      5. Restart your computer

      For example, if you want the timeout to be 1 minute, set the
      ReceiveTimeout data value to 60000 (60 * 1000)

      The default is 5 minutes.

      Tilman