Xenu beta version that can detect remote orphan files

  • Tilman Hausherr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2002
      I've made a Xenu version that can detect *remote* orphans.
      This is currently just a test - when doing the report, you get a
      dialogbox that asks you to enter

      hostname (e.g. ftp.host.com)
      user
      password
      directory (e.g. "public_html")

      of the ftp directory where you upload your stuff.

      Because this is just a "beta", you will be asked every time you request
      a report to enter these. The data (including the password) is not stored
      in a *.XEN file or in the XENU.INI file. The data is used *only* to
      access your ftp server and only to *read* your directories, nothing
      more.

      I tested it for my site, and I was absolutely amazed that I have so many
      orphan files.

      If you are trying it, tell me how it works. Note: it may report "default
      files" like "index.html" as "orphans" if they are not linked
      specifically. That isn't a fault, that's a feature :-)

      Of course, the orphan feature works only if it is enabled in the Options
      Dialogbox.

      Tilman
    • Tilman Hausherr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2003
        I have uploaded yet another debug version at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linksleuthupdates/files/xenub.zip
        that can detect timeouts. You set the timeout in XENU.INI

        [Options]
        timeout=60

        60 is the default value, so it is there even if you're lazy and you set
        nothing :-)

        Because I haven't received much feedback, the debug trace (XENULOG.TXT)
        is still in that version.

        So if you like Xenu and are courageous and want to support me, try out
        that version at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linksleuthupdates/files/xenub.zip
        and tell me if you still have "endless-busy-sites".

        The timeouts are not reported as such, they appear as "invalid handle"
        or as "operation cancelled".

        Tilman