RE: [LIONS] My LinkedIn Profile – to edit or not t o edit? That is the question.

  • Fiona Young-Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4 6:46 AM

      Neil,

      Does it push you to the top of my contact list? Yes.

      Do I mind? No

      Does it make you look like a spammer? Of course not. Furthermore, those in my network, especially those I know personally should know that I wouldn’t be promoting a spammer anyway.

      It looks fine as it is.

      Fiona

    • Frank Kanu
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4 7:29 AM
        Fiona, I have to disagree with you.

        For the person who thinks to be spammed it doesn't matter what you did right or wrong - what matters to them is their feeling of being spammed.

        Best regards,
        Frank
        Leadership Consultant
        Author of Stop Telling... Start Leading! The Art of Managing People by Asking Questions

        --- In linkedinlions@yahoogroups.com, "Fiona Young-Brown" <fionayb@...> wrote:

        > Neil,
        >

        > Does it push you to the top of my contact list? Yes.
        >
        > Do I mind? No
        >
        > Does it make you look like a spammer? Of course not. Furthermore, those in
        > my network, especially those I know personally should know that I wouldn't
        > be promoting a spammer anyway.
        >

        > It looks fine as it is.
        >

        > Fiona
      • Fiona Young-Brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 7:37 AM

          Frank,

          I’ll be honest – I’m not sure where we’re disagreeing. My contacts know my integrity and therefore know that I would not promote a spammer or allow one to be in my network.

          As to whether one feels that they have been spammed – does that mean Neil should change his profile which has clearly been successful for him, because one person thinks they have been spammed? No. I agree that the person who feels spammed feels wronged but then it is for Neil’s contact to explain to that person, not to demand that Nail change his profile.

          Fiona

          Fiona, I have to disagree with you.

          For the person who thinks to be spammed it doesn't matter what you did right or wrong - what matters to them is their feeling of being spammed.

          Best regards,
          Frank
          Leadership Consultant
          Author of Stop Telling... Start Leading! The Art of Managing People by Asking Questions

          --- In linkedinlions@yahoogroups.com, "Fiona Young-Brown" <fionayb@...> wrote:

          > Neil,
          >

          > Does it push you to the top of my contact list? Yes.
          >
          > Do I mind? No
          >
          > Does it make you look like a spammer? Of course not. Furthermore, those in
          > my network, especially those I know personally should know that I wouldn't
          > be promoting a spammer anyway.
          >

          > It looks fine as it is.
          >

          > Fiona

        • Frank Gross
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4 7:46 AM

            Fiona,

              I’m not disagreeing at all.. I have no idea why all these LIONS emails are coming into my mailbox today.    I haven’t participated in any conversations that would initiate a response.  Frank

            I’ll be honest – I’m not sure where we’re disagreeing. My contacts know my integrity and therefore know that I would not promote a spammer or allow one to be in my network.

            As to whether one feels that they have been spammed – does that mean Neil should change his profile which has clearly been successful for him, because one person thinks they have been spammed? No. I agree that the person who feels spammed feels wronged but then it is for Neil’s contact to explain to that person, not to demand that Nail change his profile.

            Fiona

            Fiona, I have to disagree with you.

            For the person who thinks to be spammed it doesn't matter what you did right or wrong - what matters to them is their feeling of being spammed.

            Best regards,
            Frank
            Leadership Consultant
            Author of Stop Telling... Start Leading! The Art of Managing People by Asking Questions

            --- In linkedinlions@yahoogroups.com, "Fiona Young-Brown" <fionayb@...> wrote:

            > Neil,
            >

            > Does it push you to the top of my contact list? Yes.
            >
            > Do I mind? No
            >
            > Does it make you look like a spammer? Of course not. Furthermore, those in
            > my network, especially those I know personally should know that I wouldn't
            > be promoting a spammer anyway.
            >

            > It looks fine as it is.
            >

            > Fiona

          • Fiona Young-Brown
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4 8:21 AM

              Different Frank!

                I’m not disagreeing at all.. I have no idea why all these LIONS emails are coming into my mailbox today.    I haven’t participated in any conversations that would initiate a response.  Frank

              I’ll be honest – I’m not sure where we’re disagreeing. My contacts know my integrity and therefore know that I would not promote a spammer or allow one to be in my network.

              As to whether one feels that they have been spammed – does that mean Neil should change his profile which has clearly been successful for him, because one person thinks they have been spammed? No. I agree that the person who feels spammed feels wronged but then it is for Neil’s contact to explain to that person, not to demand that Nail change his profile.

              Fiona

            • Jose Lozano
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4 8:24 AM

                Hi Neil:

                With those friends you do not need enemies!!!.

                I would go back to him politely and explain him the importance of having a connections network for life. You might talk to him about the post placed by Mike Fesler as reply to your post (Mike, I just saved it into my personal folder for future. It was more than $0.02).

                If your friend does not agree with you, please ask him to disconnect from you, anyway you already know him personally. If you lose him as a friend, probably he is a person that is not convenient for you personal growing. We are supposed to grow up with our connections, friends, family and, in general, anyone who is connected with us.

                By the way, I went to check connections order and, as Mike Fesler said, anything that begins you last name will define your position. Connections will be ordered with the following criterion:

                1. �  (quote)
                2. (
                3. +
                4. . (point)
                5. Number (0 to 9)
                6. [
                7. Uppercase Letters
                8. Lowercase Letters

                Now that you have the tool to appear first on your connection's list, feel free to update your last name.

                In the other hand, having your email visible and LION tag on your name will attract more people. Please do not use email address straight format (Example jflozano_us@...). Rather than, you may use spaces, parenthesis or any other sign to let the "potential connection" know how would be your email address (example jflozano_us <at> hotmail.com or jflozano_us at hotmail). The reason of this is because there are robots out there sniffing for emails addresses on webpages to create emailing lists to send spam emails. Having a straight email address will make you more vulnerable to receive those spams.

                Have a nice conneting!!!

                Jose Lozano
                LinkedIn LION Member
                Feel free to connect with me

                From: "neil.linkedin" <neil@...>
                To: linkedinlions@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:30:26 -0000

                Fellow LIONs, I need your advice and thoughts.

                A LinkedIn connection of mine, who I know personally and have done
                business with, has requested me (very politely) to change the
                appearance of my LinkedIn profile by removing my email address and
                LIONs affiliation from my Last Name placeholder. The reason for this
                is that my name is being forced to the top of his LinkedIn connections
                list and he feels that it makes me look like a spammer to people who
                look up his profile ( I assume he has received comments to this
                effect), and he believes this defeats the visibility effect that I was
                trying to achieve by including email and LIONs mentions.

                Presumably any Last Name placeholder in the LinkedIn profile
                containing (, [, or ! symbols are forced to the top of any connections
                list in LinkedIn.

                So, my questions are:

                - has any LION experienced similar comments/requests?
                - does it make a significant difference when building your network to
                include your email and LIONs affiliation at the Last Name level in
                your LinkedIn profile?
                - are there other means of creating visibility and building your
                network faster?

                To see how my profile appears click:

                http://www.linkedin .com/in/neilgibb ons07

                For any LIONs who would like to connect with me, well, you know where
                to email the invitation :))!!

                Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment
              • Frank Gross
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4 8:32 AM

                  Got it..thx.   Still wish I could find out why I’ve received 20+ emails concerning  some ones profile.   Does being a LION mean that I’ve made an email list that subjects me to all this back and forth email stuff?   I can see that ending quickly.   Frank

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4 8:55 AM

                    Frank – you are on the LIONS email listserv. To change your delivery options, you can sign it at yahoogroups.

                    Fiona

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4 10:56 AM

                      Thank You.

                      Frank – you are on the LIONS email listserv. To change your delivery options, you can sign it at yahoogroups.

                      Fiona

                      Got it..thx.   Still wish I could find out why I’ve received 20+ emails concerning  some ones profile.   Does being a LION mean that I’ve made an email list that subjects me to all this back and forth email stuff?   I can see that ending quickly.   Frank

                    • Marc Freedman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4 11:36 AM
                        re: adding your email address to your name

                        Neil,

                        I also receive occasional comments on that.  Adding your address the end of your name does not improve your search rank.  However number of connections is an important (and selectable) factor, which is why you may come out on or near the top of certain searches.

                        Your connection is misusing terms.  Someone may consider you promiscuous because you publish your email address.  But that doesn't make you a spammer.

                        Punctuation will catapult you to the top of LinkedIn lists that use an alphabetical sort, but that is NOT what you did.

                        There are significant advantages and disadvantage to posting your address.  I wrote more on this at http://linkedin.pbwiki.com/PublishingYourAddress .

                        I should note I'm on the other end of this issue.  I do have my email address in my profile and sometimes LinkedIn takes it OFF!

                        Marc

                        Marc Freedman
                        http://www.linkedin.com/inviteMany  and enter Marc@...
                        http://MyLinkDaddy.com