Making a difference

  • Stephanie Chernoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2008

      A few weeks ago, I rode in the Pan-Mass Challenge to raise money for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I biked from Wellesley, in the Boston suburbs, to Provincetown, at the tip of Cape Cod – a distance of 163 miles. It was truly an incredible experience. I chose to do this ride because of the people in my life that have had cancer – a nephew, a cousin, some friends – some have survived, some have not. Seeing the route lined with survivors and their families made me realize the impact the Pan-Mass Challenge has had for so many people. It's hard to say what made the biggest impression – the girl at the side of the road holding a sign reading "I'm 10 thanks to you" … the teenage survivor waving and cheering as we rode by … the sign on someone's lawn that "a survivor lives here – 18 surgeries" … the little boy of 3 or 4 who inspired his father's team – and who has already survived liver cancer twice.

      The PMC is the single largest fundraiser for Dana-Farber, with a goal this year of $34 million. I personally have committed to raise $4,000 by October 1, and I'm a little over halfway there. Please help me make a difference – 100% of your donation will go to help find a cure for cancer.

      More information on the Pan-Mass Challenge and my ride is available at http://www.pmc.org/mypmc/profiles.asp?Section=story&eGiftID=SC0212.

      Thank you for your support,

      Stephanie