Re: Vaika

  • Dmitri Ivanov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      > Hao sabah, kare Dmitry !

      Hao-hao!

      > (Sedey es tanto garme in Lorraine ke me bu somni gro...)

      She nu meteo es toshi ga garme.

      > According to Google translation, "vaikka" means "although" in Finnish; i don't know Finnish, but I had already encountered this word, which had inspired to me "quayque" for Sambahsa (cf. French: "quoique").

      That's right, but that is only one of its meanings. Another is what I've discribed. I must say it's quite close to Russian usage too: hotya (hot' by) may have all those meanings, and even more, including the meaning of the Italian "magari" that we've added recently thanks to Attilio.

      > Me kredi ke Pskov (doicha : Pleskau) es tre lao urba de Rusia.

      Yu es ga raite: un-ney skribi-mension om Pleskov (kom urba yo, bu vilaja) bin in yar 903.

      Swasti

      Dmitri

      > Olivier
      > http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/
      >

      > --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, "Dmitri Ivanov" <lingwadeplaneta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sey worda es fon suomen "vaikka, vaikkapa". In LdP se maini (pyu-meno exaktem) "amini, fo exampla". Exampla:
      > >
      > > - Me bu mog desidi, me kupi kwel kamisa: grin o rube? Ambi es ya jamile.
      > > - Bu dumi tro! Kupi ba vaika grin-la.
      > >
      > > - Dai a me kelke mani.
      > > - Bu mog, mani es shao.
      > > - Dai ba vaika shi euro!
      > > - Tanto yok.
      > > - Dai ba vaika tri euro!
      > > - Kwo yu zwo bay tri euro?
      > > - Me... Vaika me kupi aiskrem!
      > >
      > > ___
      > >
      > > Al nau me es in Pskov, may janmaurba. Es bugran lao urba kun mucho gro-lao stonmur, kirka e tawa. Me pri promeni miden ili.
      > > Swa-ki!

    • cafaristeir
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
        > That's right, but that is only one of its meanings. Another is what I've discribed. I must say it's quite close to Russian usage too: hotya (hot' by) may have all those meanings, and even more, including the meaning of the Italian "magari" that we've added recently thanks to Attilio.

        Very interesting; in Sambahsa, I have "makar" which corresponds to French "j'ai beau" = "bien que je"...
        I found it in Greek but I ignore it exists in Italian too.
        "Makar peito, khako" = "Though I try, I fail".

        Swasti !

        Olivier
      • Dmitri Ivanov
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
          --- In lingwadeplaneta@yahoogroups.com, "cafaristeir" <cafaristeir@...> wrote:

          > > That's right, but that is only one of its meanings. Another is what I've discribed. I must say it's quite close to Russian usage too: hotya (hot' by) may have all those meanings, and even more, including the meaning of the Italian "magari" that we've added recently thanks to Attilio.
          >

          > Very interesting; in Sambahsa, I have "makar" which corresponds to French "j'ai beau" = "bien que je"...
          > I found it in Greek but I ignore it exists in Italian too.
          > "Makar peito, khako" = "Though I try, I fail".

          I wonder if that "makar" is cognate with the Hindi "magar" (however)!

          The meaning of Italian "magari" is different, it's "I wish".
          Magari lu lai! - Oh if he could come! I wish he come!
        • cafaristeir
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009

            > I wonder if that "makar" is cognate with the Hindi "magar" (however)!
            >
            > The meaning of Italian "magari" is different, it's "I wish".
            > Magari lu lai! - Oh if he could come! I wish he come!

            Hmm; why not. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where I took this "makar" from....